Kuerassier Helmet

poniatowski

I saw this in the SOS People 2014 photos and asked Joe about it. It took a while for me to convince my wife, but if you want to know how I did it, just keep reading after looking at the helmet:

http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/cuirassier.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I've been saying, I've no money for new helmets because I've been putting money heavily into my retirement account (political developments in Wisconsin have gutted the state retirement system, so my investment was almost wiped out) and saving for a new car for my wife (as well as travel funds). So, we found Sue a car for about $5,000 under what we'd expected to pay. You can see the logic here, right? You get a car cheaper, I get a nice helmet? Well, she gave me a BIG eye roll and sighed as if I was a little kid asking for a toy (which isn't too far from the truth). I'm very happy with the helmet. It looks great on the shelf with its buddies.
I guess you could say this was an SOS helmet, even though I've never been to the show. :wink:

:D Ron

I hear ya about the eye rolling thing from the wife. When I see a helmet I really want I have to justify it to my wife first and explain how good a deal it is. I feel like a kid too asking for permission, and I'm 35 years old!

I guess asking is part of the secret to the happy wife happy life thing. If I were to just buy them whenever I wanted without her knowledge I would probably loose her trust though.

But I totally agree about your saving money on the car thing justifying the new helmet. Every time I fix the car I remind my wife how much we saved from not going to a garage, which we could then use the funds towards a new helmet...!

PS: Very nice helmet!

I am glad it went to a good home, I sat and looked at it every day at the show. It is a nice helmet.

James

Arrrgh..."The Missus"...
She once told me she loved the Württemberg Wappen (on an Infantry Officers Haube...). I had to dissapoint her as I collect Kavallerie and Artillerie only...
So I thought to play It smart....I keep showing her every picture of nice Württemberg Tschapki and Kugelhauben...in vain... [-( (I think this is her way of revenge !?)... :cry: ...

Francis

Thanks all! I was happy to hear it didn't sell at SOS and also the price. Having done a couple of shows, they can be hit or miss. For example, the collectors at SOS may all have had a helmet like this, so didn't 'need' it, or found some fault that I didn't. For example, it has been cleaned up and restored expertly and I think all of the parts except for a chinscale 'boss' or 'disc' are probably original to the helmet (?), so some may have not liked that. Either way, it's worked out well for me. It fills a hole in my collection and was one more checked off of the 'basic wants' list.

Having been to the Brussels and French Army Museums, as well as Schloss Vornholz in Germany, Sue had to admit that this was a nice very looking helmet. We try to be tolerant and understanding of each other's hobbies. We both spend quite a bit... she a little at a time and I all at once. The funny thing is, if she saw a helmet at a dealer's that was on my list, she wouldn't hesitate to purchase it for me. :-k She's a great wife.

Nice helmet and I agree it's always challenging to negotiate with the missus in order to get approval :D

Regards,

Edwin

Thanks again all. It was kind of Joe to allow me to reference his page and photos for this. My photos are still on another computer that I use for editing and such, but is not on the internet.

Congrats Ron I handled this helmet at the SOS and was very tempted to scoop it. I thought the price was very reasonable. It is in great shape! I have had 2 wives. The first, I was not collecting so no problem. The second, was supportive and I got her into coming to shows with me like the MAX and SOS. She would go out and scout ahead of me and come back when she spotted something. We even used walkie talkies at the first SOS to communicate if she found a helmet. I encouraged her to collect fiesta ware (her choice) so that she also had something to look for when we went to antique stores or auctions.
Now I have a girlfriend and we are not financially connected so I can do what I want. However, she is very supportive. She appreciates my passions for guitar, my band and this hobby. There are a heck of a lot worse things we could be spending our money on gentlemen!

b.loree said:
Congrats Ron I handled this helmet at the SOS and was very tempted to scoop it. I thought the price was very reasonable. It is in great shape! I have had 2 wives. The first, I was not collecting so no problem. The second, was supportive and I got her into coming to shows with me like the MAX and SOS. She would go out and scout ahead of me and come back when she spotted something. We even used walkie talkies at the first SOS to communicate if she found a helmet. I encouraged her to collect fiesta ware (her choice) so that she also had something to look for when we went to antique stores or auctions.
Now I have a girlfriend and we are not financially connected so I can do what I want. However, she is very supportive. She appreciates my passions for guitar, my band and this hobby. There are a heck of a lot worse things we could be spending our money on gentlemen!

Does helmet collecting contribute to divorce, or what?

Back