Kürassier one-year volunteer

joerookery

Photo of a one-year without a converted helmet with a rounded front visor.
CurrOYV_2.jpg

I am afraid that I still do not understand what you mean Joe. :scratch: In your photo, the EJF has opted to purchase a Eigentumshelme in the standard service pattern. Can't tell, but it appears he has screw posts on the rosettes? These show up from time to time and they are breathtaking. Would love to get one. Or, he could have opted for the "Mercedes" version with stepped visor.

In my mind, the only time you would see a "converted" helmet, is when a Fähnrich actually became a commissioned officer. I would never expect to see a "converted" helmet on an EJF. It would be a straight purchased helmet, what ever he (or his family to be more correct :-s ) could afford. is that what you mean? Or am I waay off track here?

is that what you mean? Or am I waay off track here?
That is exactly what I mean! So I now have photos of both kinds of helmets on one-year volunteers in addition to the catalogs. I wonder what it was that made the purchaser lean one way or the other? Was it random? Was there some deeper meaning?
BeklOrd7.jpg

Based on the Bekleidungsordnung that Glenn surfaced, it does not look like they had a lot of choice. However the catalogs indicate they did. Photos obviously show that they did. I know I get amused over little things. :? :?

I am going to step in here with pure supposition, but based on the photos we have seen and the Prusian military culture it would not be out of the realm of possibility for a Candidate to have 2 helmets.

I say this because once again, since they where officers in training they might want to have 1 very nice custom helm for parade use that they could "upgrade" when they became a officer. They would also have one for everyday field use.

You know, the more I thought about it I wonder if the Candidates ever did a College Textbook buyback type of sale with new Candidates, where they would sell them thier old enlisted helmets when they graduated to becoming officers...

Don't think I have ever heard of rules prohibiting that.

John

John,

Your supposition is right online -- it is very possible that they had more than one helmet. Based on the cost it would be a small fortune however, the cost of a one-year volunteer in a cavalry outfit was astronomical.

We discussed the idea of a used helmet market quite a while ago. It had to exist. I thought I was on it for a minute with one catalog but that fizzled. Once somebody with a private purchase helmet passed into the Landsturm what would be the incentive to keep it? If you were a commissioned officer it would make sense to keep the helmet as uniforms were worn even in retirement. But all of these one-year volunteers did not become officers.

The key point here is an understanding that a one year volunteer would not be commissioned for at least two years if at all. Many hurdles had to be jumped after the one year volunteer year in order to get that commission. A reserve officer would not get commissioned before the age of 19. According to Ute Frevert only one third of those with a one-year certificate entered military service. Only 50% of the one-year volunteer class was recommended for training as a potential reserve officer. One third eventually gained the rank of reserve NCO, and 13% were discharged without any promotion.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/new%20OneYearVolunteer.htm

Back