Kürassier-Regiment nr 7 „von Seydlitz“ (Magdeburgisches)

stuka f

So I think it is!! ??
Correct me if I am wrong!
It probably isn't the condition in wich you guy's like them to be, but I am pretty happy with it.
I seem to see a "K" and a "7" under one of the chinstraps, so assumed it was the 7 th Kürassier regiment.
But I leave further comments to you gents.
cuiras012.jpg

cuiras015.jpg

cuiras016.jpg

cuiras001.jpg

cuiras017.jpg

cuiras026.jpg

cuiras027.jpg

cuiras028.jpg

cuiras029.jpg

cuiras002.jpg

cuiras004.jpg

cuiras005.jpg

cuiras006.jpg

cuiras007.jpg

cuiras009.jpg

I think it's for others also hard to see which regiment it is and also the condition isn't to good... Maybe therefore nobody responded yet. Also it's an older type, again less answers...
Anyway, it still is a great find!

Adler

Thanks for your answer Adler! At least I know there is nothing wrong with my connection, or PC! ;-) (lol!)
So later models are more popular then these!?
When I saw it, i had thise "must have" feeling, as it reminds me of my GdC I had in my former collection.
Although my GdC was in far better condition.
cheers
|<ris

Hey Kris,
This looks to me like a Prussian Kürassier Mannschafte Metalhelm Model 1862 with plenty of character that could have been tampered with (painted shell?) but I'm no expert... There's a nice M1862 Metalhelm on Tony's site for comparison: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now let's not get too hasty waiting for replies here Kris! You posted that at 10pm last night in the US, so this is the first chance many of us had of seeing this. So... my comments:

1st, Nice find! If it 'speaks to you' and you're happy with it, then that's great! I think the main thing is that it's being preserved in a collection.

Certainly has seen better days, but here's what I see: Some replacement retainers on the spike base, but that's no biggie. You know it's been rusted up and RON seems to be right in thinking it may have been painted or treated with something black at one time... probably to seal out more rust. You might see an inexperienced collector or a business (such as a theater group, pub, restaurant or hotel) doing this to a decorator item.

The rust seems pretty deep / crusty and I don't know if cleaning it would work? That's something for you to evaluate because right now it really speaks to its history / life as a helmet that was kept but not necessarily cared for.

No, it's not in great condition, but I don't think I'd pass it up if I saw it in a shop, it's still a pretty cool earlier helmet and you have a nice liner / chin strap there.

:D Ron

Interesting old helmet, still with a story to tell. I like the handpainted size number on the side of the liner and the unit number allows you the fun of doing research on this old beastie to find its service history in the 1862-1864-1870 wars of unification. He still will look cool sitting on a shelf.

I wonder if the LG stamp on the chinstrap boss stands for Landes Gendarmerie, anyone know?

Larmo

Hey Ron, thanks for your answer!
Ideed two retainers of the spike base have split pens, and only one at the front still has it's original washer.
It is clear that the paint had been put up to stop or prevent futher rusting.
Chin straps do look great indeed, especialy the mark! I don't think my GdC was marked that way on the chin straps.
One scale of the left chin strap have been repaired at some time.
I have been looking to find a makers mark on the helmet, but no luck so far. If I recall right; I think my GdC was marked "Jaëger" some where on the cupper reenforcements of the helmet, can't remember exactly where...
|<

An older helmet that got a make over: adding of brass reenforcements between visor an neckguard. 1867.
Francis

Back