Kürassier scroll helmet???

PICKELMAX

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pickelhaube-Preussen-Tropen-Expeditionen-Asien-Afrika-/270881906500?pt=Militaria&hash=item3f11d1df44#ht_2182wt_1185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never seen before!

New one to me as well. Evidently for a dismounted, never to ride a horse, Kurassier... no chin strap. Or do you just glue it to the ol' noggin?

:D Ron

It looks like a fraternity helmet with an M1915 spike added to me.
Best
Gsu

same hat can be seen in the book, Military helmets and headdress by Col Rankin, in the section showing sun helmets

Kube Auktion 104 autum 2004 Nr.1770 Limit 700 Euro

Kube Auktion 105 spring 2005 Nr.2660 Limit 600 Euro

Kube Auktion 108 autum 2005 Nr.1423 Limit 600 Euro

Okay, so it's widely accepted as authentic? Personally, I'd think sun helmet, but not truly ersatz Keurassier, even though you can ride without the strap, you really can't do any maneuvering or such without something to keep it on the head or at least attached to the body if it falls off. Also, I don't think a Keurassier would like that front visor profile without the inward sweep, which is unique to the K'r (too lazy to write 'Keurassier' again :p ) helmets. IMHO :)

After asking the seller for more pictures I received a nice set of closeups. I don't like the liner. I don't like the green felt either - just my opinion.

liner_gruen.jpg

:grommit: Crackin' green Grommit! :grommit:

To me the spike retainer ring (and by extension the spike) doesn't match anything else in that helmet. The helmet looks brand new because of the brightness of the green and condition of the liner, as well as the liner's construction. Why do I get the feeling this goes with the filz helmets being discussed on the other thread? To me (and please remember I've never seen one of these before), it's like looking at a Mona Lisa in a movie, when they cut the canvas out of the frame and roll it up... (the real 'Mona' is on a wood panel) I'd like to see more examples of these... maybe I'll take a look at the auction catalogs! :)

In the back of my mind I think I've seen this helmet with a different spike. Indonesian Imperial Guard is what keeps popping in my head, but I'm not sure. It's been 5 or 6 years. It had a funky short spike and I actually tried the helmet on. I especially remember the green felt interior.

Back