Kuirassier anyone?

JohnM

The lance is the real deal...

newbatch004a.jpg

Thank you John for a new photo for my PC desktop. Seriously, just fantastic. You must have been reading how several of us have been hunting for a M1893 German lance as well. Very nice! Beautiful grouping to the Leib-Kürassier-Regt, is the Kuraß also marked to the Leib-Kürassier? Joe mentioned there were several Kuraß in the new Kube auction, but unfortunately (or fortunately if you ask my wife) there are no early Line issued Kürassier Kuraß, like yours appears to be. This is what I am looking for. Is the lining intact? Again, VERY nice. Tony

Hi John,
Great!

I have two lances like yours, Germans, but used by the Braziliam Imperial Troups during the Paraguay War.

Otto

Thanks, Tony! Thought you would like the cuirass.

Alas I did take some artistic liberties as the cuirass is not marked to the Leib-Kur regiment but looks marked to a Bavarian unit.

Unfortunately there is no liner and I have to tell you that out of the 7 cuirasses I own I have not had the good fortune of finding a intact liner.

I got lucky with the M1893...it came with a twin brother.

Hey Tony, why don't we anex this grouping and add it to our collection, since you are closer to New York, I will let you drive the truck. There is a great advantage to having a good photographic record of these items, and a forum of collectors who know them, if they are ever stollen, they would be nearly impossible to sell with out the collecting community IDing them.
Best wihses
Gus

Hey, I've got a nice issue lance, unit marked and dated 1910. It even has the original leather Lanzriemen still on it. It goes with my mint Prussian NCO pennant dated 1915 and marked to the Garde Korps. 8) What I am looking for is a leather lance shoe so I can display it on my saddle. :roll:

Chip

Chip, I have seen such a lance shoe offered on Ebay within the last seven days. Sorry I can't be of more help but perhaps you can find it using "lance" as a search word and limiting your range to WWI German militaria.

If you are able to snag it, I would love to see the whole outfit put together. I have often thought of picking up a WWI cavalry saddle but decided that, given my short space, I need to wait for an MG 08.

I don't like guns but Colonel Ron has a big water cooled MG. Don't know the model but nasty looking.

1st Kurassier regiment helm at this auction site, I know there has been some expressed interested in a helmet of this type so check it out. The number is 1470

http://www.stauffer-auktionen.de/auction.php

ive heard there can be some questionable items so you might have to check it out with detail. hope this could be help to someone. Also does anyone have a book about German gorgets (ring kragen) 1700-1918.

If you had ever been to the Belgian War Museum you would know where all of the German lances went! Here are about seventy or so of them. Not to mention the umteen sets of trench armor and brow plates hanging all around the room!

Chip

I hear that they have quite a 'haube collection too. If it's the collection I'm thinking of, word has it that the gap's in this collection got filled in by a high ranking German officer during WWII (just before he got 'filled in' by the allies), when the place was occupied. Apparently, much to the consternation of the curator who thought he was going to nick the lot, this bloke walked around making list after list and then buggered off back to Germany later to return with a lorry-load of the spiked items. I think his name was Colonel Frankfurter, he was a good old sausage!

Visited that museum a couple of years ago and was absolutely stunned by their display of pickelhaubes. All in glass cases, mint example after mint example! I could have stood there for hours, just studying all the pieces. This museum has so much stuff, and it's mostly crammed in there (just like the photos showed) so that you can spend hours there inspecting every fascinating item. Unfortunately, they're now getting into the modern philosophy of museum display, which means just few representative items on display with sophisticated lighting and a lot of politically-correct labels (no English labels, by the way; just French and Flemish). What a tragedy. I enjoyed much more the old-fashioned way of just having every single variation out there on display!

spikeymikey said:
I hear that they have quite a 'haube collection too.

http://www.militaria-online.de/eng.html
There is a set oh Lieb Currass and helm as well as some lance parts .
Shows how some guys krpt sounineers or how they were destroyed.
nice set of kit.
I feel like an Ahole but an older friend who has a nice collection of Brit and Imperial headgear has a complete lance and matching pennant .I bug him every time I see him to purchace it.
Mark

I've had an uhlan's lance favorited on ebay for about 2 years now, owner can't sell it, I guess. They offered to chop it in half :( to be able to ship it otherwise local pickup...

I have now sight up to be here..as a German-
Veteran-Collector of Cavallery/ Kavallerie Stuff/Zeug
see more of my "Stuff" in other threads...I'm try to be a helpfull person..

Gruß / Regards

Kriegsbeute

Back