Kurassier Adler

poniatowski

Here's a photo of a 6th Kurassier helmet (follow the link)

http://www.hermann-historica-ohg.de/auk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... /23178.jpg

It has a line eagle on it, rather than Kurassier with the woven feathers at the bottom of the breast. Was that common in some units? I saw this type of plate on a 6th Kurassier on ebay recently and then this one on Hermann Historica... or is it wrong all 'round?

:D Ron

Actually Ron, if anyone could also show us a side-by-side comparison of these 2 wappens (Line vs. Cavarly), that would be great.
Also need to know if the M1915 Kurassier (Cav.) adler was indeed different from the Line adler as some claim?

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Tony's site (Who else!?? :) )

As far as the 1915 wappen, I don't know, but these are supposed to be pre-war models that I'm looking at.

Cuirassier style front plates ("woven" lower chest feathers, mounted style tail, and the turn in the bandeau even with the edge of the plate) do exist on Model 1915 issue Cuirassier helmets. A very good photograph of a Model 1915 Cuirassier Probe Sample made by C.E. Juncker showing these features can be found on page 327 of The German Army in the First World War, Uniforms and Equipment - 1914 to 1918 by Juergen Kraus.

I don't have that book (yet) but I think I got it...

It'll be even harder for me to find that ideal Prussian Kürassier EM M15 Metalhelme now (Lachmann with excellent liner & chinstrap, large cockades, AND a grey Prussian Cavalry wappen) :-?

So far the ones I've seen are either incomplete (AOK once had a helmet with a Cav. wappen but it was missing the chinstrap and cockades) or come with the regular/Line wappen...

However, the question still remains... was the line type eagle improper (a Pioneer eagle put on a 6th Kurassier, for example), or were those legitimate?

I confirm that proper cuirassier type emblem are found in 1915 grey pattern, I even think I proposed such an helmet to Ron sometime ago, (2 years ?) maybe Ron kept the pics, if not I can try to find them in my archives .... but that's a mess :? !
I've also seen two types of 6Th cuirassier eagle, the cuirassier type and the line type.... I guess the line type was used in 1915, 1916, when the logistics problem appeared.... I say that since I've seen helmets that looked really fresh from the attic, bearing the infantry eagle (6Th cuirassier), and being manufactured obviously in war time, but still in 1889/94 pattern, i.e before the 1916 regulations.
hope this helps,
I could take some pics, I do have some samples of such plates, and could show a comparison between cuirassier and cavalry, let me some time ! :)

Salut Stephanes, that was actually less than a year ago :) :) (sometime in March)
I probably still have your email in my inbox but I've just cropped a couple of eagles found on the Net.
Both on M15 Kürassier EM metalhelms (Left: Infantry Wappen; Right: Cavalry Wappen) - The differences raised by Ron and R1 are now obvious:
PrussianEMWappenM1915-Infantry.jpg
PrussianEMWappenM1915-Cavalry-2.jpg

RON said:
I don't have that book (yet) but I think I got it...

You have to get that book! and especially for you collecting wartime headgear. It is worth every penny. I find myself going back to that book more than any other book in my collection and I have about 100 books.

Here is one on Ebay with a good example of Kürassier eagle and some other original parts, wrong spike and the 1916 stamp confuses me with the fittings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160728336839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weirdpyramid said:
Here is one on Ebay with a good example of Kürassier eagle and some other original parts, wrong spike and the 1916 stamp confuses me with the fittings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160728336839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, saw that one: Beautiful (Cav.) Wappen, very nice large (Cav.) Cockades and that chinstrap looks nice/authentic too with the harder to find fixations... The spike--JzP type--and the shell (M1915) seem to match the date (1916) but have been buffed/waxed/polished beyond crazy! :(

mike39 said:
He is an infantry eagle? It can stand on helmet М15?

Yes Mike, this is the correct M15 EM Cavalry/Kuerassier Eagle with the woven feathers beneath the chest and a large bandeau reaching both edges as R1 mentioned.
It's similar to the one on the right in my comparison above.

I have a question ..... we've shown here the specific kurassier eagle.... In brass and in steel, pattern 1889 and pattern 1915

however, I wonder if this specific eagle exists in silver nickel for the KR 6 .... I've seen several KR6 with the "normal " eagle, I have a complete helmet 1889/94 EM, untouched and with the "line" eagle, and I wonder if this is normal or not,

the question is : do you know in museum, collections, any KR 6 ? has it a line eagle or a specific kurassier eagle ?

thanks in advance for your help :thumb up:

in fact, I just found a sample in Larcade's book .... a KR6 with the typical cuirassier eagle...

Back