L.I.R. 119 - 1915 - Alsace Sundgau

2w6tff5.jpg

In relation to all your samples of all your awesome collections, gentlemen: I hardly post here periods. But this period photo I had to share with you. It is not my own; I found it in a French book:
The photo is made in September 1915 and it represents 2 soldiers of L.I.R. 119, stationed at the Alsace Sundgau front near Aspach-le-Bas, Kahlberg, and Schweighouse.

2j2djer.jpg

There are more beautiful L.I.R. 119 photos in this book. If you are interested in more, I can scan some others and post these here.

Pierre

This was a popular card Pierre, and has appeared many times on Ebay in varying guises - sometimes with a letter, sometimes without.

My copy has a letter around the border as well as the back, authored in July 1916, it was sent home by a fellow from 3. Landw. Co. 13 Pions. 7. Landwehr Div.

Landwehr kämpfen pram by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Landwehr pram reverse by drakegoodman, on Flickr

I for one would be very pleased to see more pictures from your book :study:

Wonderful, Brett, and amazing that you did find it also in your collection. I am not feeling that kind of "guilty" anymore to post it here, if it is a "commonly published" photo and not the only sample of a private collection. The texts and the rear side of your postcard makes it even more interesting!
Although it is highly possible that these guys are only transporting their own personal stuff (i.e. broom & helmet), in the eyes of the French people of those times, the photo would have had another connotation: soldiers transporting the products of their looting. At least the baby car (?) could suggest the involvement of looting; on the other hand it could also have been used German baby car.
Later on, Brett, I will post some more scans.

117cio4.jpg

The earliest picture: 5. Kompanie L.I.R. 119, 13 November 1914 at Height 425, south-west of Steinbach and north-west of Sandozwiller, Alsace Sundgau. A month later, at 14 December, hell broke out for these guys, under unsuccessful French attacks.

23a7pt.jpg

A sentry post at the edge of the village of Aspach-le-Bas, June 1915, of 2. Kompanie L.I.R. 119. Photo made by Feldwebel R.Warth, baker and cook of the 2. Kompanie.

6dtnvc.jpg

August 1915. A fortified bridge over a brook outside Aspach-le-Bas. Photo made by Feldwebel R.Warth.

iprtx1.jpg

Aspach-le-Bas Farm, billet and housing the kitchen of 2. Kompanie and the hair dresser.
The sign says: “Kuche 2. 119”. Next to the window a sign with “Friseur”. Remark the grenade impact under the roof.

2psk1tg.jpg

9 August 1915. Feldwebel R. Warth, the cook, in the middle, flanked by his two assistants, in front of the entrance of his kitchen.

10rmus7.jpg

Detail of the menu.

In a couple of days I will continue these series, Brett, with some more interesting L.I.R. 119 pictures.

Photos and info: Philippe Springer: “1914-1916 – L’Alsace en guerre- Vers le front continu” – ISBN 978-84208-170-6. Price 45 Euros.

Back