Lafayette Flying Corps Group

ottodog8

I know this isn't a German grouping, but I thought it might be of interest to some members. I acquired this group around 1970, and it still stands as the most complete and fascinating (to me anyway) collection I've encountered. Walter Rheno was a hometown boy who left our little island and enlisted in the Foreign Legion in 1916, took aviator's training at Buc and Avord, flew at the front with N80 near Verdun in July and August 1917. He flew SPADs and Nieuports, and had 2 confirmed victories. He returned to the US in October 1917. Rheno was in the States until October 1918, when he returned to France, caught the flu, and died in Paris in October 1918.
A unique set of circumstances combined to keep this collection inact all these years. The pics show a small sampling of what is included.
A few notes:
The photos are all captioned on the back. The flight log is filled out, complete with descriptions of his victories. There are about 60 letters he wrote home. The uniform is the one he wore in combat. Shortly before he came home, he got a new one (which he is buried in). I never saw the missing aviator's wings, perhaps they are buried with him.
Steve
IMG_8525.jpg

ottodog8 said:
it still stands as the most complete and fascinating (to me anyway) collection I've encountered.

Yowzers! That is not only historically significant for the Great war, but also as a US collectible. Amazing. I have never even seen another tunic or cap that could be attributed with documentation, let alone a set. Congratulations Steve!

Yes WOW, Usually when someone says they have a Lafayette Flying Corps Group, it is a late war grouping from the US Army Air Corps, not really a Lafayette Flying Corps Group, but this is the real thing. One reason this uniform would have survived is Mr. Rheno would have been wearing a US uniform when he was buried, but I think you are right about his wings, they would have been carried over to the new uniform as they would be dear to him. This grouping is vast, the photos alone would constitute a great grouping. Thanks for sharing.
Gus

Thanks for sharing Steve. I have never seen anything like this grouping. Fantastic!!

Thanks guys. It is truly a privilege (and responsibility) to own this. Gus, when you say the grouping is vast, you have no idea. I have only shown the highlights. His family saved EVERYTHING! There are stacks of documents, the manual for his SPAD, newspaper clippings, his wallets, cigarette case, cuff links, even the inscribed plate that was placed on his coffin when he was buried in Paris. It was removed when he was exhumed and reinterred here in 1921. It's itemised on the bill for his funeral. There is also the 2 volume history of the Lafayette Flying Corps by Nordhoff and Hall, and a lot of material related to the LFC Memorial in France.
I knew people who knew him, and by all accounts he was a wild man. Among other dubious achievements he was sent to reform school, had a marriage that was annulled, and was known to moon the local Methodist Bible study group. He left the Island under a cloud, and returned the conquering hero.
Although he was offered a commission in the US Army as an aviator (I have the document) apparently he never accepted it. He was still in the French Service when he died, and is buried in his newer French uniform.
Steve

Hey Steve,
You do not need to thank us, we need to thank you for sharing. This is even better, very few remained in the French service after the US entered the war. I suspect that Rheno was a very similar character to Bert Hall, have you read his book "One Man's War"?
Gus

Steve,

That is a truly extraordinary piece of American history. Even more significant given that he is from your hometown and you still have connections through the local folks - not a collection that you have anonymously purchased. An attributed collection like this is a true rarity.

Mike

Hi Steve:

I missed seeing this post until yesterday. I can't sufficiently express how impressive your Rheno group is. Would it be possible to see additional images of Rheno's pilot certification? It would be interesting to compare its format to the one belonging to Carl Holler in Otto's collection.

Absolutely top drawer! The story would make a wonderful book.

Chas. :thumb up:

Back