Landsturm-Gefreiter Ernst Marquard Feldart. Regt. Nr. 47

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I just purchased this photo postcard, and wanted to share and perhaps ask for a little help researching this well-mustachioed chap:

scan0001.jpg

On the card, it reads "Landsturm-Gefreiter Ernst Marquard im 2. Kurhess. Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 47, kommandiert zur Garrison-Verwaltung Fulda"

My interest in this card comes from the fact my grandfather also served with FAR 47. To date I have checked the various websites to see if he was a casualty (i.e., German War Memorial Website, Gräbernachweis des Volksbundes Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V., weltkriegsopfer.de) and have turned up nothing. One ancestry hit for a Franco-Prussian War casualty has been clearly ruled out.

At the moment I am trying to rule out that this fellow became the German Air Force's Head of Weapons Development, General Ernst Marquard, but I cannot find a photo to prove or disprove it is him. Would anyone know where I can find a photo of General Marquard?

Also, are there any other clues in the photo that may help in tracking down what became of this chap?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing the great photo. I would think it unlikely that he went from being a Territorial Lance Corporal to an Air Force General... as I understand it once you're in the Landsturm you're on the way out rather than all set for rapid promotion. Maybe the general was this guy's son?

Cheers
Chris

chrispaulodale said:
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing the great photo. I would think it unlikely that he went from being a Territorial Lance Corporal to an Air Force General... as I understand it once you're in the Landsturm you're on the way out rather than all set for rapid promotion. Maybe the general was this guy's son?

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris,

I totally agree, but I do not want to dismiss any potential avenues without being thorough, no matter how unlikely. Maybe he was a relative of the General, who knows. I know that Hitler started as a Gefreiter, and had quite a career trajectory post-Great War (understatement of the week), which is why I am not dismissing this possibility out of hand. With the FAR, this fellow certainly knew his way around explosives, as did the man who was General Marquard, apparently.

As an aside, there nothing easily findable in the Unit History for FAR 47 either, so that avenue is used up as well.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Daniel

Chris is absolutely correct: Landsturm private soldiers did not become General Officers. Although born in Duisberg, Ernst Marquard became a Fahnenjunker in the Württemberg Army Corps in Grenadier-Regiment 119 on 22 August 1914. He was commissioned as a Leutnant on 21 January 1916 and after service as a company officer became a pilot. Your Ernst Marquard is not General-Ingenieur Ernst Marquard.

Regards
Glenn

Glennj said:
Daniel

Chris is absolutely correct: Landsturm private soldiers did not become General Officers. Although born in Duisberg, Ernst Marquard became a Fahnenjunker in the Württemberg Army Corps in Grenadier-Regiment 119 on 22 August 1914. He was commissioned as a Leutnant on 21 January 1916 and after service as a company officer became a pilot. Your Ernst Marquard is not General-Ingenieur Ernst Marquard.

Regards
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

Precisely the information and guidance I was looking for. Thank you! Onward through the fog. :)

Daniel

If only I had $1 for every time Glenn immediately sent me a detailed answer for a question I asked.....

I really appreciate it Glenn. Each and every time.

Back