Landsturm troops parade captured French Alpine Troops

:D You might even see the (possible) photographer of "my" picture in "Brett's "picture; the man above right on the balcony, right of the Hotel Nation. (Box camera's of those days were held before the breast to take a picture). This man has the same view point as the point from which "my"photo has been taken.

Hello Pierre
the photos are truely of the same street, but I suspect they were taken different days, the flag flying from the Hotel National, in Brett's photo, is not visible in the one you posted, it should be visible on the right side of the photo in frount of the Cigeretten lables on the building just beyond the Hotel, and the weather is different, on your photo, it is sunny, on Brett's photo it is overcast.
Gus

The flying flag is too high for the second picture.
Anyway, Gus, do you have also another reason than beer for staying with the Strasbourg-theory?
It could now even be possible that neither of these locations are right.

P.S. Gus. The weather conditions really differ, as I can see at the shadows.You are right.
But weather conditions in the Alsace can change quickly. I have sometimes taken a picture of the same landscape within a quarter of an hour. You would see all kinds of weather on these pictures cloudy, misty and sunny.

I like beer. I do not think the flag is too high, if you draw a line from the sectator on the balcony to the point of the roof over the Cigaretten sign, you will see that it falls in the line of sight.
I do not care if the photos are from different days, they are still very interesting together.
Gus

Hey Pierre, you are right about weather conditions changing fast, in Idaho we have a saying, "if you do not like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change"
I also notice that the man with the visored cap in your photo (on the very right edge of the photo) in not on the balcony in Brett's photo, also none of the awnings are extended in Brett's photo and nearly every one is extended in yours.
Best Gus

Pierre / Gustaf,

Thank you both for a very interesting and entertaining discussion. I'm selling my house and have been without a PC here at home for a few days now while the cleaners came through - it nearly killed me :D

I have just managed to set up impermanent 'comms' in the corner of my old study for the duration of the sales campaign. Wife says I'm not allowed to make a mess with my 'old pictures'.

Here's a photo that, in my mind, confirms the location:

http://www.gaston.lu/History-Of-Tram-Through-Old-Postcards/images/%28FR%29_Mulhouse_Rue-du-Sauvage_1920%282%29.jpg

The distinctive facade of the building on the right, appears at the far left in my photograph - at the beginning of the street. Now I'm confident of the location I will change the title in my Flickr narrative. As for the Pierre's picture being taken on the same date, I'll dedicate some time between packing boxes to look for some indefatigable spectator who remained in the same position for the duration.

Thanks again guys.

- Brett

Yes, Pierre's caption was right after all, now I need to dig through my post cards to see if I have one too, This has been an interesting study,
Best wishes
Gus

Thanks guys! Brett's last picture nailed it! There is a towerlike building on the right side of the street. The first floors of this "tower" are also to be seen in this last "tramway" picture.

Isn't it funny how one little picture like this entertains us so much! Thank you all. :laughing8: :laughing8:

A small update.

Reverse of this one is a stamp: 'Gefangenen Transport 28 April 1915 Mühlhausen im Elsass.'

4342045080_7d9eb2e293_b.jpg

Original size

Back