Landwehr Crosses - Saxony, Bavaria, Wuerttemberg

kaiserzeit

G'day Everyone!

I began thinking about some of the other Landwehr cross variants there are out there: Saxony, Bavaria, Wuerttemberg; and wondered if they came in a range of sizes, too. Joe, do you have any insights?

I am making one dangerous assumption, here: The other Landwehr crosses, vaguely similar to the Prussian crosses (Vassal states, Hesse, Hanseatic states) more or less followed the sizes used by the Prussians. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you once again!

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie,

It's a big subject, and of course nothing fits in a box cleanly. There is an old article at
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/ReserveCrosses.htm
reading that should put you up to speed a bit.

Saxon crosses were unique, as were Bavarian crosses. Bavarian ones were 45 mm x 55 mm. Wurttemberg crosses had no motto Mecklemburg crosses were supposed to be 44 mm. Like the one Randy is currently selling. However. mine and most of them that I have seen are smaller like Prussian ones. Vassal states where the same size, but had different mottos like the Hessians.

The question of what the the range of sizes is, is in itself an interesting question. :fart: The printed information I have seen for Prussian crosses all relates to 25 mm. There are 15 mm examples. 25 mm examples, a little bit off 25 mm examples, and I have recently seen in 30 mm example. Hope this confuses the world lessen it confuses me!

Thank you, Joe,

I think that the one that intriques me the most is the Bavarian cross. I can see using a 45 mm x 55 mm cross on a standard pickelhaube but was a special, smaller size used on tschapkas and shakos? I am again assuming that the Bavarian tschapka/shako badge is smaller than the 'haube badge.

Cheers,

Laurie

Gus do yo have any extra meds?
Hey Joe, I do have extra, but sadly they do no good to control the collecting fever, this is a fatal afliction for which there is no cure, the fact that you are being drawn to shakos, is evidence that you are beyond redemption. The best thing to do, is to relax and do everything you can to make your self comfortable. A nice shako would do this for you, do not resist, it just make the process more painfull.
Best wihses
Gus

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6593459166&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Here you go Joe, start slow and get some OR's stuff in your collection
Gus

Argggh!! Gus another beautiful M15 bond helmet shako!!! Why are there never any brass M95's up for sale? It is really amazing, you can find Hessen helmets Wurtt, Saxon etc etc but I would say that one of the rarest pieces to find is the Prussian pre war shako with brass fittings. I have been collecting for some time but still do not have one in my clutches. Joe, succumb to the dark side, there is no hope, resistance is futile . Brian

Back