Large saxon star

Robert

I´m trying to keep up with the Texans with this portrait size picture of Major Fischer and his extra pointy helmet, dated July 1st 1918.

Is this star size normal for officers?

large_saxon_1.jpg

large_saxon_2.jpg

Robert: I would not say normal or typical but this combination of extra tall spike and large bulbous or protruding wappen is well documented in many fotos such as yours. We also have seen the tall spikes with the regular size of officer wappen. I call these extra tall spikes "fashion spikes". We also know from examples, that many older officer helmets had shorter spikes than what we see in the 1890s. I had a Saxon officer helmet with one of these shorter spikes but had to sell it. In Larcades' vol 1 Casques aux Pointes he mentions that the fad of the tall spitze got so bad amongst officers that an AKO had to be published limiting the height of the spike. I have an example officer helme in my collection....I will post a foto soon. BTW, I think that this was a sign of too much male testosterone or maybe small man syndrome. Brian
PS....one last thing, I love the fact that he is wearing a set of pince nez spectacles which are typical of this era.

I´d love to see yours, is it a saxon too? I have seen the extra tall spike on some saxon helmets, this is the first time I see it in combination with an extra large star as well.
BTW, I think that this was a sign of too much male testosterone or maybe small man syndrome.
We always suspected that the saxons had an urge to compensate for something.. :wink:

dresden_234.jpg

Back