Large size copy of famous picture

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Most of us have seen this photo before in referance books etc. the famous pyramid of war bond helmets in New York. Well my latest find goes beyond the normal small size photo. This small poster size photo measures a full 14 by 17 inches is size and shows incredable details of the helmets.

Photo itself is stamped on front : Copyright by Underwood & Underwood, N.Y. From Elliott Service Co., N.Y.

It also came with Original Victory Bond insert to promote the sale of bonds.

I am super excited about this one and will bring it to the SOS for all my friends to see!

James

victory001.jpg

victory004.jpg

victory005.jpg

victory006.jpg

victory007.jpg

Great find James, Congratulations!!!

I love the detail in the picture.

There sure is a nice variety of helmets displayed.

I have an M-15 Prussian that has a ? nail hole on the lower back visor. I wonder if it came off this sort of a display?

All the Best,

Alan

Congrats Slim: I have of course seen this before but such a large size and with so much detail...an excellent find! Alan if you take a look at the close up you can see that the helmets are held on by some sort of wire or dark string accross the top of each helmet. In the pic it looks like a dark line accross each sshell. Each helmet shown has this so I do not think that a nail hole in your helmet indicates that it was one of these. Brian

Brian, I see what you mean. It does look like wires holding them down to the boards. Thanks!

I bet James could sell copies of this photo at the show. I'd buy one for myself!

Alan

Nice find!

I've also one with a nail hole in the 'neck guard'.... I've always assumed that it was put in by a former owner who thought it was the 'proper way' to display the helmet. After all, what values was there to a 'junker helmet'?

:D Ron

ww1czechlegion said:
I bet James could sell copies of this photo at the show. I'd buy one for myself!

Alan
Hey Alan,
James often leaves the table unattended (actually, I am there, but then that is worse than unattended) and I think we may be able to work out a deal, who needs a copy when James has misplaced his original:)

abzeichen said:
I wonder what happen to those Pickelhauben after the picture.

It is very likely that they were given out to people who bought war bonds
Gus

A pitty this pic is forbidden: :x
It shows a great shot of two of this huge Haube-pyramids in NY.
No sweat: if you want this one: just PM me your email address.
Francis

Guy's not sure what happened, I will post it again, and you should be able to get access, otherwise PM me and I can send iti to you

James

James,

No problem at all with the photo's you posted here !
I tried to post an additional pic:....but sadly "forbidden".
Rgds,
Francis

Forbidden?? We have never had that problem before. Is it because the foto is some sort of public domain thing or is on a commercial site?

I always look at this picture and think that, had I been in New York as a kid at this time, I'd have come down at 2 a.m. with a big box and wire cutters.... snip snip, RUN!!! :)

:D Ron

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2004682832/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sirismm.si.edu/archivcenter/misc/AC1071-0000049.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It looks like there might have been a pyramid of steel ones, too.

The pyramid of spiked helmets was even bigger than I imagined. Wow. :eek:

Back