Latest ebay purchase

mravery

Hello boys,

Here are some pics of my latest ebay purchase...... wartime Officer's gaurd helmet.... the only problem was that it has repop stars. all fittings (except from visor trim) are brass.... The wrappen is intersting (dave pointed this out) that there is no detail (very poor) for the chest of the eagle on the reverse..... the balance of the reverse has as much detail as the front.

Liner is delicate... no extra holes and a fantastic full bush. dave also pointed out that the bush was interesting as there was no brass top gromit. There is leather top and bottom that the trickter cap passes through (wartime conservation of brass I assume).

And yes... Tony..... I'm afraid I have been 'bitten' by the 'haube' bug :eek:

Cheers
Mark

picture17vd.jpg

The finish on the eagle is about 100%..... but not really 'frosted'.. but more of a mat gold finish....

picture32rk.jpg

Mark is there a maker's name on the liner? The body of the helmet? How can you "tell" it is paper? Is it Mache? This is interesting? Maybe a kind of cheap fibre?

Hi Joe:
I think that "pressed paper" is what I call cardboard. I have seen numerous cardboard visors over the years both officers and OR's (M15s). Very nice helmet Mark!! Brian

joerookery said:
Mark is there a maker's name on the liner? The body of the helmet? How can you "tell" it is paper? Is it Mache? This is interesting? Maybe a kind of cheap fibre?

Hey Joe,

no.. the lable on the liner just states that it is a Guard Officer's helmet (put there by some other collector yearrrrrrrs ago)....

Dave was here when it came.. and when we took the fittings off to clean it.. he mentioned that it was a paper or cardboard shell.... I'm just glad that the tricker didn't sink into the shell..... it must have been supported at one time when on display.

Cheers
Mark

Nice piece ,really nice to see the intriqet enamel and glt star.
Nie Nice
Mark.G.

Yes, that is very nice.
I don't recall seeing it on ebay or I'd have given you a run for your money. :D

Back