Latest Find-but I don´t know what I´ve bought exactly

Sadowa

• Hello,
    I could not pass it although I am not familiar enough with picklehaubes after 1866. I would appreciate your help with ID and specifying of all imperfections.
    I would say it is Gaurd Infantry M.1891,but the markings: L.G. 1893 doesn´t match with it. Perhaps can it mean -Land Gendarmerie ? See the pictures and let me know,please.
    Thanks in advance,

Alexandr
01-1.jpg

02-2.jpg

03-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

05.jpg

06-1.jpg

07.jpg

08-1.jpg

09.jpg

10-1.jpg

11.jpg

We seen several of these before. It is a Land Gendarmerie helmet. Recently I have seen a picture of some of these guys in the role of feld gendarmerie. These have always been considered police helmets for the rural police of the Kingdom of Prussia, however, their chain of command went up to the Minister of War -- not the interior minister. I haven't really sorted out what all that means but it seems to support that they had a mobilization mission consistent with Feld gendarmerie.

Hi

Joe is totally right. Land Gendarmerie.

This marking is very often seen on helmets sold on Ebay. But often the seller does know / does not explain this stamp and...sells a Dragoon helmet, a Guard helmet,...more attractive than a Gendarmerie one.

Nevertheless, yours looks genuine and nice.

Best regards

Eric

There is a similar helmet on Ebay that I am thinking about bidding on.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&viewitem=&item=300100121700&rd=1&rd=1
Rick

Alexandr, Rik,

The Land Gendarmerie (or Landes gendarme) whch I have also seen them called) were not military police during peace time. They were rural police. As Joe indicated, during mobilization ( and during Kaiser maneuver) they worked with the military authority. There were two types: the mounted "mounted" or Berittene Gendarmen with square peak cruciform spike base which look exactly like Garde Dragoner, and Fuß (foot) Gendarmen, which look exactly like Garde Grenadier. They originally started out with an Alter Art Grenadier eagle, but then the Guard Star was introduced for the LG in 1905. So they wore both. The Preußen L G wore Polish cuffs with a single Garde Litzen, but in 1889 Swedish cuffs with double Garde Litzen were adopted. This is from IIngo Löhken Die Polizei-Uniformen in Preussen 1866 1945. It looks like a great helmet Alexandr, very collectible.

LG.jpg

• Thank you to all of you,
    I have bought it because it looked very nice out and untouched,but than when I decyphered that L.G could be only Land Gendarmerie ,I got a bit restless because it seemed to me strange that Land Gendarmerie and elite Eagle with Guard Starr was together.
    Now I am cool and it seems it was a good purchase.

Thanks again,

Alexandr

Back