Leib Garde Hussar

Very nice picture, Bob. Three things to be noticed:
- The special Fangschnurr, exclusive for Garde Husaren
- No cockade
- The Kolpack is not hanging from the side of the busby, but folded over the top. Was it a trend?.. I have never seen this before

Thanks Bruno,
I had noticed that with the Kolpack as well. The straps on his sabertache are also not squared away. His Wachtmeister would not be pleased! :lol: I'm guessing its a little sloppiness.

cptbob said:
Thanks Bruno,
I had noticed that with the Kolpack as well. The straps on his sabertache are also not squared away. His Wachtmeister would not be pleased! :lol: I'm guessing its a little sloppiness.

When JL Larcade was commenting on such studio photos, in his two famous books "Casques a pointe", he would sometimes add that the helmet was most likely an accessory belonging to the photographer, since the hat looked too small or too large for the wearer, or did not conform to regulations...

That may be...the pelzmutze, saber and belt, and the pelz (looks a little rumpled) might all be props.

A beautiful photo, thank you for sharing :bravo:
cptbob said:
Thanks Bruno,
Agree, it’s a sloppy hussar :D
The hat had to be worn straight and for me it looks a little bit too small. It might be an illusion, but according dress code (source is from 1896 and is for officers, but I guess the fit and wearing rules are similar for enlisted men) the lower edge of the Busby should sit 2cm above Eyebrows and Ears. The lower edge of the Kolpak should end 1cm before the lower edge of the Busby.

911car said:
Very nice picture, Bob. Three things to be noticed:
- The special Fangschnurr, exclusive for Garde Husaren
- No cockade
- The Kolpack is not hanging from the side of the busby, but folded over the top. Was it a trend?.. I have never seen this before

My mistake: the cockade should be of course on the other side. I suppose everybody will have rectified... sorry.

Back