Leib-Grenadier Helmets

dave mosher

All:

Here are the three Leib-Grenadier regiments of the german army:

- Leib-Grenadier-Regt. Konig Friedrich Wilhelm III (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 8

- Konigl.-Sach. 1. Leib-Grenadier-Regt. Nr. 100

- 1. Badisches Leib-Grenadier-Regt. Nr. 109

Tony

Thanks much for the comments. Like you, I try to put together unit groupings, when possible. I am still looking for an ellusive officer's M-1910 waffenrock for LGR 8. Maybe I'll find one someday...

Dave

Chas

Actually, the interior of the LGR 100 is a burgundy felt and the hat size is a massive 59 1/2. The other two helmets are made of leather.

Dave

I have noticed that one sees more of the large sized helmets in the better units, did head size play into the selectin of members of these units?
Gus

Hi Dave,
These are super helmets. Congratulations on your collection. How long have you been collecting?
Gus: I have heard that some units selected only individuals that passed a certian height requirement but this was not used very often. I feel that it had more to do with good nutrition. The better units attracted the elite.... ie wealthy families with adequate diets. Bill

Gsu, I think we need to call Max...
Hi Otto,
Sorry, I tried to check out Dave's collection last year when I was at SOS, but for some reason, he would not let see his collection, Chas went to get directions to his place, but Dave made him wear a blind fold and ride in the trunk of his car, so Chas was unable to give good directions. There are so many great collections out there, and this forum makes them all belong to all the members, if only for a moment. Great stuff Dave.
Gus

Thanks for posting these Dave...just fantastic la creme de la creme!! I have never seen a live GR8 before. Brian

Thanks for posting these Dave...just fantastic la creme de la creme!! I have never seen a live GR7 before. Brian

Thanks again all for commenting so favorably on the helmets.

Bill: To answer your question, I have been collecting imperial spikes and uniforms for about 15 years now. When I was starting out, I was very fortunate to meet and befriend some very influential "old time" collectors like Bob Scott, the Sanders brothers, Randy T., Brian Caulkins and Chip as well as some current prominent collectors who were just starting at that time, like Tony and Jon Kitts. Then, it was a hobby of long distance phone calls, correspondance and/or pictures via the postal service and the occasional face-to-face meetings at shows. Times have changed a lot, and I'm glad this forum gives us all the opportunity to share and further our knowledge (in real time) of a subject we all have such a passion for.

Otto: I'm with Tony, the spiked icon is VERY cool.

Gus: Hmmm, I have given a great deal of thought about you seeing my collection during the next SOS. Even if I gagged, bound, and blindfolded you, then put you in a trunk, I think I would still have to just dump you at a rest stop someplace near Cinncinnati....
(P.S. Chas has an indefinate "security clearance" to my collection)

Dave

Even if I gagged, bound, and blindfolded you, then put you in a trunk, I think I would still have to just dump you at a rest stop someplace near Cinncinnati...
Hey Dave,
I have never been to Cinncinnati, that might be fun
Gus

Back