Leib Kurassier Enlisted Helmet and Ringkragen

cptbob

I got these as a set a couple years ago. They've both been repaired and had parts replaced. The shell is unit marked 1.K.2.42. The cockades look to be repros. The chinstrap looks original but the catch is missing and they are held together by an unattached pin. The liner is likely a replacement. The fasteners for the spike are completely wrong. The wappen may be original but I'm far from an expert. I'm curious as to what folks think about that. The nuts are definitely wrong, they don't even match each other.
IMG_9773.JPG
IMG_9774.JPG
IMG_9775.JPG
IMG_9777.JPG
IMG_9782.JPG

The Ringkragen has been heavily repaired. The shield has several cracks that have been soldered together. Not sure if the emblem off the front is original. (wondering what folks think about that). The nuts don't look right and again are not even all the same. Judging from the discoloring it has been on there quite a while. The area under it is still very shiny and the outline of the emblem is clear.
IMG_9795.JPG
IMG_9796.JPG
IMG_9798.JPG
IMG_9800.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG

Tony without Kaiser said:
I reget to say Bob that in my opinion the Wappen falls well short of an issued Wappen of any type from the Imperial era.

Tony,
I need some help with this.
I have blown up the photos and I don't think I'm seeing what you are seeing.
The front of the Wappen looks like it has been polished to within an inch of it's life over time, but the reverse side looks correct. The bent threaded posts look correct to me as does the solder. It appears that there is a lot of polish residue on the reverse, but the stamping looks detailed and 'clean'.
This Wappen was adopted in 1902 and, to me, it looks correct for a Wappen of the time.

What are you seeing that makes you believe that it is not original?
I am very curious because I could have been fooled by this one!

John :?

A couple of comments regarding what I see....the screw posts seen on the back of the wappen are original and the reverse details look good to me. The front has been heavily polished over time. The scales to my mind are also original. Note that the scale ends match the unique M91 Cav posts.

I can understand why Tony may question the plate, at first look I too thought it a copy. I may not be as knowledgeable as the previous posters, but there is a little characteristic of the Wappen for this particular Regiment that I have noticed over the years that separates originals from reproduction for me. To me your plate has this original trait. Looking very closely at the plate I can see a couple of faults that happen with stampings. I too feel it to be original.

I hate to have been the guy who had to split those mounting posts.

SkipperJohn said:
Tony,
I need some help with this.
I have blown up the photos and I don't think I'm seeing what you are seeing.
The front of the Wappen looks like it has been polished to within an inch of it's life over time, but the reverse side looks correct. The bent threaded posts look correct to me as does the solder. It appears that there is a lot of polish residue on the reverse, but the stamping looks detailed and 'clean'.
This Wappen was adopted in 1902 and, to me, it looks correct for a Wappen of the time.

What are you seeing that makes you believe that it is not original?
I am very curious because I could have been fooled by this one!
John :?

Its just my opinion John. Yes the bolts are correct, however, all I need to see is the lack of detail and I am out. Original issued Wappen are extremely detailed stampings. Compare the crowns and the muted feathers.

Crown.JPG

Second, an original issued Wappen will be as detailed on the reverse and the front. Compare the tail feathers.

Tails.jpg

Again, only my opinion, but if that is indeed an original Leib-Kürassier-Regt. Nr.1 Wappen, it is the worst stamping I have ever seen.

Thank you everybody for the responses! It is very informative for a rookie like me to sit back and observe the thought processes that go into these determinations. Thanks again!!

Back