Lewis Gunner Badges

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
My Sottish grandfather John Foster, was in the Highland Light Infantry during WW1. He saw service at Galipoli, in Egypt and in France. The only picture I have of him in uniform shows him with one of these LG badges with wreath. As shown, there are 2 versions of this: LG and wreath or plain LG. My research tells me that the wreath indicates "LG instructor". I believe the cloth badges are WW2 vintage. If any of these details are incorrect please let me know. I am also looking for his medals. I will post the pic of my GF once I have it scanned. Note the 2 cotter pins on the rear of the LG and wreath badge. Brian

Collectionroompics015.jpg
Collectionroompics017.jpg

Hi Brian,
It sounds to me like you need to add a Lewis MG to your collection.
Gus

Gus, after spending 4 days with you and 3 with those LeBrasseur Bros. I would love to add a Lewis to my collection. I sort of felt left out with all you boys a totin' that hardware and me completely disarmed! That there ICE boy really put me off when he told me he wus a wearin a' ankle gun durin the whole show!! By the way, I know all of this here Amarican lingo from bein raised on Seth Parker playin Davy Crockett and watchin Roy Rogers on TV!!!!
Having been to the SOS, I now know exactly where to look for a Lewis...either in Idaho, good old Kentuck or Minnesota!!!! Brian

Hi Brian,
A friend of mine found a Lewis in Kalifornia a year ago for less than $4000 with transit chest, 3 mags, spare parts kit and tool kit, I am so envious, as this typewriter whould have cost him 5 to 10 times that much.
Gus

Brian the First War Badges for Qualiffication are alot thicker than WW2 .The colour also varies between the wars .The LG with Brown wreath looks more WW2 . The wool is also very coarse .
I know for sure that the LG is for Lewis Gunner but I think the L is for a Layer,of Arttilery .
Lewis why a lews ,why not an 08 oe 08/15 lot's of um up here or even a vickers .ton's of um up here even at lower canuck bucks.

Hey Zippy,
I will send up a two ton truck, it is licensed to haul 8 ton, and then I can haul tons of 'em home, I wish!!!
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Zippy,
I will send up a two ton truck, it is licensed to haul 8 ton, and then I can haul tons of 'em home, I wish!!!
Gus

Hi Gsu,
The remote control is still working?
Otto

Rendsburg said:
Gustaf said:
Hey Zippy,
Gus

Hi Gsu,
Otto
Otto, I thought that you might drive the truck in case it is stopped at the boarder.
Gus

Gustaf said:
Rendsburg said:
Gustaf said:
Hey Zippy,
Gus

Hi Gsu,
Otto
Otto, I thought that you might drive the truck in case it is stopped at the boarder.
Gus

Thank you Gsu,
You're a real friend!
Otto

PS. Don't forget to put a grenade box on the truck, if "they" stop me at the boarder, it would be much funny!
Otto :twisted:

I have seen an 08/15 held it my hands ,I will not mention his name but he picked a "dewat 0815 last Spring . Another couple Advertised out of Manitoba .An 08 and sled just adverted in Shotgun news.
They are Dewat but you can open the cover remove the bolts look at the welds on the face ,as well as the tacks on the barrels. All else O.K. .
You are right Lewis's are rarer .
Sorry guess I know to many toy collectors.
The German stuff is out there , Somebody flooded the Canadian Market with Turkish Vickers about 15 years ago . The WW2 Brit Can and Aussie ones are around.
Some of the older collector's have full Auto Permits and they pay $20 more on their PAL to own them . They are getting fewer abd farther between ,so stuff comes out of closet's and trunks .
Sorry about the rant .
Mark G.
P.S. never go on a rant after your grave yard shift. :D

Hey Mark,
I am assuming that the post grave yard rant means that you are healed up and back to work? better get that face shaved, the fuz seems ti irritate Joe, and that is my job.
I was removing a display fromthe county fair about a year ago, and a fellow came up to me and told me that he had purchased a MG 08/15 at a yard sale for $5, and I asked how long ago, he said "last year". I did not need to know that, the point is that there is stuff out there yet.
Gus

That is I guess is the point , of the rant . The unit museum gets walk in's
We recieved a nice set a .38 Smith and Wesson Rgar was issued to a man in the Regiment in WW2 it came in a cut off luger holster and a Luger . Th Luger was his war trophy It was a 1918 Erfurt .
But it is out there ,just have to keep looking

Back