Liège and Dutch border

edwin

Below are some pics of my recent visit to Liège and the border between Belgium and the Netherlands.

DSC03130

DSC03138

I first visited the hilly border region of the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. This region is located in the very south of the Netherlands and from these hills one has a splendid view over the narrow area that comprised the so-called bottle neck and was used by the Germans during the initial days of the war to amass nearly 500.000 soldiers for the further invasion of Belgium.

DSC03154

During the great war, the Germans sealed the border between Belgium and the Netherlands by means of an electrified fence. This monument is located in Sippenaeken and is dedicated to the victims that tried in vain to cross this fence in order to flee to neutral Holland. One should keep in mind that electricity was rather unknown to the ordinary civilians in those days and as a consequence knowledge how to deal with this was lacking.

DSC03158

Further down the border near the town of Moelingen one can find these fields that were used as campsite for the vast German army, which eagerly awaited the fall of Liège before they could cross the Meuse river and progress with the Schlieffen plan.

DSC03156

DSC03160

Near the German army camp two memorials can be found. Both are dedicated to civilians that were executed near the camp (hung) by the germans because of espionage or out of reprisal.

DSC03179

Next, I visited the town of Vise, which is located on the Meuse river. This town was of key importance to the Germans because of its bridge across the Meuse, which could be used to deploy troops for an attack on Liège.

DSC03162

The cavalry of General von der Marwitz was given the task to occupy Vise and to conquer the bridge crossing the Meuse. However, when the Germans entered Vise a few local police men tried to stop this German vanguard. During this encounter two police men were killed and are remembered on this monument.

DSC03171

This bridge was the main goal for the Germans during the initial days of the war but, however, it was destroyed by the retreating Belgian army.

DSC03166

Out of frustration because of the ongoing Belgian resistance at Liège, the Germans sacked and burned Vise. During the first days of the war more than 200 civilians were killed by the germans in the area of Vise alone. This memorial is dedicated to the civilians of destroyed Vise. After the war this town was rebuild, like Ypres.

DSC03187

After the Germans discovered that the bridge at Vise was destroyed, they decided to construct a make shift pontoon bridge across the Meuse at Lixhe. This photo shows the location of this pontoon bridge. The area between Vise and Lixhe was known to either the Belgian military and the Germans as the hole of Vise, indicating that is was largely undefended. This because it was well outside the range of the Liège fortress guns and no additional forts were constructed near the Dutch border due to monetary reasons.

DSC03192

In order to reach the bank of the Meuse opposite of Lixhe, the Germans had to use a small road which runs in part across Dutch territory at Eijsden. Therefore, Dutch neutrality was violated by the Germans. This photo shows the road that crosses the Dutch border and was used by the Germans.

DSC03095

Despite the initial capture of Liège proper by the Germans during the night of 5-6 August (this attack was led by Luddendorf), the Germans could still not cross the Meuse because of the 12 fortresses that surrounded Liège and which controlled all access ways. The continued Belgian resistance forced the Germans to deploy their secret weapon, big Bertha, against the fortresses of Liège. One by one these fortresses were pounded into submission by the huge 420mm shells, which eventually led to the final fall of Liège. This enabled the Germans to finally utilize the bridges across the Meuse for the subsequent stages of the Schlieffen plan. Fort Loncin probably represents the best known example of the Liege fortresses and the destruction caused by the massive 420mm shells. This photo shows the entrance of the fort.

DSC03122

On August 15th fort Loncin received an impact of a 420mm shell which resulted in a huge explosions in the munition depot. This explosion caused the roof to cave in, burying 350 of it soldiers.

IMG_7686

DSC03099

Fort Loncin was left in its 1914 condition and even now the massive damage caused by impact of the 420mm shell and subsequent explosion are still clearly visible.

DSC03086

[ L/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/nVWGcA]DSC03090

DSC03092

DSC03089

Fort Loncin also houses a small museum with a nice collection of German and Belgium uniforms, helmets and weapons. Moreover, several German artillery shells are on display, including a massive shell of the big bertha.

Regards,

Edwin

Super pictures! I understand that Zuber is coming out with a book on Liège. Why do I think we will have a few disagreements? I have heard of publication date now of November.

Edwin,

Do you have a good source for where the violation of Dutch territory is documented? I keep telling myself I don't want to get involved with Liège but I see Zuber over the hill. A then and now comparison.

ps3309 by joerookery, on Flickr

:thumb up: ...No joke...this is...l'Île Robinson... :D
https://www.google.be/maps/@50.735351,5.6934539,442m/data=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So in fact...Joe belongs to the Belgian Branch of our great forum... 8)
To the Wild Bunch :army:

Regards,
Francis

joerookery said:
Edwin,

Do you have a good source for where the violation of Dutch territory is documented? I keep telling myself I don't want to get involved with Liège but I see Zuber over the hill.

The violation of Dutch territory is described in Luik, augustus 1914. This is a Dutch book which was published in 2009 and deals with the battle of Liège. The following book is perhaps more accessible to you and the border incidents are described in chapter 4 (Limburg: Protecting Territorial Integrity on Land)

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdare.uva.nl%2Fdocument%2F171954&ei=e-adU4eTN4fuOYGdgIAO&usg=AFQjCNFMmq_WR2xSWV1xjQaEzVX1zn0W7A&sig2=ygzxukm6r0GaasUTtq-2Lw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Edwin

That is perfect Edwin. Thank you. Now the real test for me will be determining how exactly the chain of command worked on the German side during that critical timeframe. While I am generally clear I do not have the detailed understanding that I will need to hold off Zuber when he starts attacking. The exact dates and who owned who between first Army, second Army, the army of the commercially Meuse and HKK2. I really didn't want to get involved in Liège but I find myself more drawn into it. Oh no… ](*,) :-k

joerookery said:
The exact dates and who owned who between first Army, second Army, the army of the commercially Meuse and HKK2. I really didn't want to get involved in Liège but I find myself more drawn into it. Oh no… ](*,) :-k

This kind of research is the fascinating part of our hobby :D

Regards,

Edwin

Back