Links to Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges. Period pix

2e2qkq9.jpg

(This copy of a sample is diminished to 27% of it’s original!)

I frequently visit the recommendable website of the University of Wisconsin, The World War 1 Document Archive. Recently I found there high resolution photo scans of 3 complete volumes of the German “Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges” of 1915, 1916, and 1919.
These digital copies can be downloaded in sections in Adobe pdf-files. I have quite a collection of period pictures, but even then, this footage in these 400 pages thick volumes is for me often quite stunning.
Depending on the speed of your connection, it might take some time and patience to download all files. I burned the files on a CD, and I gave these as a present to some of my Dutch WW1-friends, who were also surprised about this content and the quality.
For those forum members, who are interested in period documents and period pictures, and who are not familiar with these links, I do hope my tip will be useful. For those, who already know these volumes, please, share your opinion here.
The links to the first download, choose the first page and the link to pdf-file will occur:
Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges 1915
Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges 1916
Grosser Bilderatlas des Weltkrieges 1919

Robert, that photo jumped out at me too. Joe has found this photo in a publication dating from before WWI, newspaper reporters were the same then as now, they would use anyphoto they could get to illustrate a report, and all photos have to be studied carefully for what they show, rather than what the caption says they show.
Great post Pierre
Gus

@ Robert & Gustaf. You are welcome.
newspaper reporters were the same then as now, they would use anyphoto they could get to illustrate a report, and all photos have to be studied carefully for what they show, rather than what the caption says they show.

That is right. it is a time document, Robert, also biased by the proper propaganda lingo, which belonged to the period. In those times all books and documents of all nationalties were biased. ( For instance like Hanotaux's French "Histoire Illustrée de la Guerre de 1914" of the early twenties).
You will notice that some pictures though, marked with for instance "Bayerische Kriegsarchive" about the Vosges are quite correct in naming the exact places.
There also many French photo's to be found in these volumes, and of course the classical ones, like the disputed one, you both mentioned above, Gustaf and Robert. But I appreciate the high resolution quality of these dowloads and also the easy to use pfd -format .

Back