lions crown Bavarian general's helmet

beerens

Dear collectors,

Next to the discussion about the form of Bavarian general's spikes, I had a close look at the helmet plate of these helmets. Some pieces (eg in the Laine book) have the crowns at both lions with an open structure, like Preussian officer's crowns. Ik the Stubbs book and other picktures, I see the main cronw of the helmet plate being open structured. The two lions have closed crowns.

Are these just helmet plates made by varios manufacturers? Or is it possible the closed pieces are from the last period these helmet plates were made and Germany was running out of fine materials? The Stubbs example eg is a 1915 model.

Regards,

Ad

Ad,

Good question. The picture in the Stubbs book has led to many questions. My general has all of them pierced.
Bav%20Gen%20Wappen%20211.jpg
Bav%20Gen%20small%20crown%20211.jpg

If we go with the assumption that in general's helmet is nothing more than an officer's helmet with that enamel badge; then the question goes wider as to officer wappen. I tend to believe it's what you paid for. You could buy the ones of the higher-quality or you could buy the ones with lower quality. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a Bavarian catalog. Just my thoughts.

I see a lot more bavarian officer plates (both pre- and post-1914) without the voided crowns on the lions than with. I think to have them voided it was just a personal preference, and I have seen bavarian generals helmets with and without the voided lion crowns. It is how the enameled disc is afixed to the wappen makes it a "general". By the way, the enmeled disc was introduced in 1913, so prior to that, it was just an officer's helmet with silver fittings.

Joe:

Your helmet is dynamite, but I think it is for a General adjudant not a general or General a la suite, which would be in silver vs. gilt. Can you show the back of the plate of your helmet?

Dave

Dave it is a Bavarian General Adjutant. For some reason on number of collectors have told me it is either a general adjutant or a doctor in the grade of general officer. But a doctor general had rounded chin scales. My understanding of a general adjutant was that it was an aide who had attained the rank of general officer.

I don't have a picture of the back. I need to take the plate off and get a picture. Need to take the picture of the back of the Baden helmet also. It is just a matter of getting to the helmet and getting those screws off. Tends to be a finger thing in my case. I'll make it happen sooner or later.

It is how the enameled disc is afixed to the wappen makes it a "general".
so there were different ways to attach it based on rank? This is different. I had no idea.

Back