Just received this reply from the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum in Rastatt:
bill schrieb:

> Dear Sir,
>
> Could you provide a piece of information about a helmet in your
> collection? I understand that you have a helmet of a Flugeladjutanten
> Lippe-Detmold model 1912-1918 mit Gardeadler. Could you tell me does
> the motto read: “Mit Gott fur FUERST und Vaterland” or “Mit Gott fur
> KOENIG und Vaterland” Thank you for your help in this matter.
>
>
Dear Mr. ... ( Kaiser Bill)

The motto read is: "Mit Gott für Fürst und Vaterland".

Yours sincerly
Dr. Kai Uwe Tapken

Very intersting discussion gentlemen. There was a Flugeladjutant helmet that surfaced in this area a few years back Saxe Meiningen-Cobourg. It had the silver Garde wappen with Fuerst motto. Unfortunately, it also had an OR's Garde stern on it , not the proper officer one. Everything else about the helmet was legitimate and proper. When I handled it, it belonged to a local dealer Brian Lawrance. The last I heard, it was in the hands of another Canadian dealer, Frank Grant. Some of you may know Grant as he always sets up at the MAX Show. I am sure that the Wappen has been upgraded by now. I have fotos but no access to a scanner right now.
Regarding Mr. Bowman, I believe he is dead via a heart attack. However, I was also one of those that got burned by him for money. Brian

Not an adjutant, but this guy was killed in action in August 1914. There is no star on this helmet.
FredW_Lippe.jpg

FredW_Lippe_1.jpg

Joe,
When he was killed in action did it tell which unit he was attached to? Was he a honorary head of a regiment? Nobility perishing on the battlefield????

Friedrich Wilhelm Franz Julius Ludwig Calixt (Neudorf bei Bentschen 16 Jul 1858- k.a.Liège 6 Aug 1914); m.Meerholz 10 Jan 1895 Gisela Gfn zu Ysenburg u.Büdingen in Meerholz (Meerholz 27 May 1871-Gelnhausen 22 Jun 1964)

Bill,

I know nothing about the unit nor this individuals honorary Colonel status. I am sure that Glenn can look him up. Definite royalty from the house of Lippe.

If I have it right this guy is the much younger brother of Leopold's father. It gets quite confused as there was a Regency. The guy in question was one of 14 siblings!

http://www.pickelhauben.net/imperialinfo.htm

He wasn't an honorary anything, he was the actual regimental commander in 1914 of the 1. Hannoversches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.74 based in Hannover and part of the X Armee Korps (according to the 1914 Rangliste).

The Principality of Lippe-Detmold was attached to IR 55. As the commander of IR 74 he is shown in the proper uniform with the waterloo bandeau on his helmet plate. Everything is correct and I can rest easy. Thanks Guys. Bill

As I took one last look at the picture I noticed the sword. Not exactly a line officer item. Could that be a Lippe rose on the hilt??? Bill

Back