Lisbon Museu Militar 1

seagull

Not exactly my latest find,... I first visited the museum in 2012 (my cruise ship docked right in front of the building, happy day!) and have been back several times since. I offer these rather bad photos from 2019 for members who have not been to Lisbon, or can't see themselves ever going now that international travel is so precarious. I apologise for the 'scratchy' quality, the lighting was a problem, not to mention the glass surfaces of the cabinets. I have heard from others that photography is not allowed but, as I was the only person there and saw no staff whatever anywhere in the galleries, I took these anyway - the worst that could happen was that I would make the exhibits more visible to people who are really interested! If ever this damn virus goes away I shall return and attempt some better pictures. Posting the next five in a seperate post.
Enjoy,
S2019 Explorer 106.JPG2019 Explorer 105.JPG2019 Explorer 104.JPG2019 Explorer 111.JPG2019 Explorer 112.JPGteve

Thank you! I have a kurassier helmet with that same visor configuration. I had never seen it anywhere exactly else as most have visors with a wider spread. It reminds me of the front end of semi-truck but I love it. I wonder if it is a musician's helmet then with that plume.

I didn't have enough battery to also photograph the labels, so hurriedly took these before going off to yet another museum! Next time I am there I will be sure to take extra pics of labels. Frankly I came away disappointed on just this subject: It was obvious to me that they had an 'Honours' sword presented to one of the top Cadets at Japanese Imperial Military Academies - they had it down as just a standard Kyu-Gunto sword, and clearly didn't know what they had! I tried telling them but no-one spoke English and an email sent after I returned home, giving them all the references, was unanswered.
I suppose my point is that, just because they labelled it doesn't mean they have it right!
steve

Good to see some of their collection. I went there once. I got caught taking photos and told off like a naughty school boy!
Chris

Back