Lisbon Museu Militar 2

That Prussian pickelhaube with the plume mount is also of interest. Its hard to get any information on those for the early 1842 model.

@ASSIA - No, museum built in the 19th century, on the site of the Portuguese Royal cannon foundry, run by the Army ever since.
@NACUAA - I am betting this museum wouldn't be able to add any more (or better) information about 1842 models than you could get right here on this site!
Steve

Recently back from Lisbon where the Museu Militar has revamped one of their galleries, showing this interesting Portuguese General's Filz helm plus an EM from a Rifle regiment. Easy to see from where they derived their inspiration but the very different approach to the scale of the spike /ventilator could perhaps be regarded as a more practical solution than was the case with German Imperial helms.

Attachments

• DSCF9724 (2).JPG
    DSCF9724 (2).JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF9723.JPG
    DSCF9723.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCF9726 (2).JPG
    DSCF9726 (2).JPG
    957 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF9727 (2).JPG
    DSCF9727 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
My wife and I will be in Portugal for a couple of months this winter. A trip to this museum will be on the agenda when we do a day trip to Lisboa.

Recently back from Lisbon where the Museu Militar has revamped one of their galleries, showing this interesting Portuguese General's Filz helm plus an EM from a Rifle regiment. Easy to see from where they derived their inspiration but the very different approach to the scale of the spike /ventilator could perhaps be regarded as a more practical solution than was the case with German Imperial helms.
I was fortunate enough to have obtained one of these helmets a few years (14 years WOW) ago. Not easy helmets to find.

Steve, it is worth a visit - just not on Mondays, when it is closed - opens at 10.am. photography is 'not' allowed but discretion when staff are not about pays off!
Peter, another example of the Portuguese filz in the upper galleries teased me with a glimpse of a gold leaf makers mark inside the liner edge but my attempt at taking a picture was a failure.

Back