Lobstertail Separation

dosty

Hello,
(Trying again). I could use some help. I have a line cuirassier officer helmet but the lobstertail separated at the first joint. I tried my most awesome, never-fails super glue but it didn't hold. What is recommended for securing this. I'll try to post an image.
Thanks,
DostyCuirassier tail.jpg

Dosty,

I would not recommend using any more superglue. It will remove the plating on the shell and ruin it.

Can you take pictures of the inside of the helmet? I am specifically looking for photos of the inside rear, and inside rear right and left sides that includes the stud and ear sections.

There may have been a retaining pin or solder on the inside center back of the helmet where the tail meets the skullcap that may have broken or the solder failed. There may also be 2 solder points on either side of the tail where it meets the skullcap that may also be compromised.

It also looks like the top stud on the tail where it meets the skullcap portion is very loose or has failed.

John

Thanks for your replies. Here are more photos. The underside is covered in brown felt, so I can't get a look at the tail. I did get a shot of the liner and can see a hole where, I'm guessing, there was once a pin (now gone). The tiny pins on the brass trim on the right and left are not holding anything either.

You are right about the large securing pin on the left. One of the prongs is broken off. I intend to fix this after I figure out the tail.

DostyCuirassier inside.jpgCuirassier right side.jpgCuirassier left side.jpg

Here's a full frontal of my helmet. The head is one of two that I have by this artiste - DostyCuirassier front.jpg

First image shows the solder has let go in the center has it not? If there were a busted pin on the rear center it would be visible from the outside.

That is an absolutely stunning Metalhelm.

Dosty,

That is a very nice helmet!

Without being able to see the inside of the helmet behind the horsehair I can only guess that your helmet has suffered a cascade failure of all the solder points and the tail is just being held on by the brads.

There should be 3 solder points where the tail is soldered to the skullcap. 2 on each side of the tail behind the ear areas and one in the middle of the rear tail where it meets the skullcap.

I suggest you find a silversmith or a jeweler who works on silver items to re-apply the solder to those spots. You must make sure that they are familiar with the process because too much heat will discolor the chrome on the helmet.

Also you should keep the helmet on that display head or a stand to avoid putting weight on the visors.

Good luck!

John

Just a point of information from my experience. My local jeweller who does perform repairs informed me when asked that they had no interest in contaminating their work area with lead solder.

A "cascade failure of all the solder points." That's exactly what happened, John. By the way, I will use that elegant phrase in describing my problem to friends. It'll make me sound like I know what I'm doing with this helmet. Thanks to everyone else, too. As soon as the world opens for business, I will start cruising for a suitable, expert jeweler and will report the results here.
Dosty

Back