Look what came in the mail from Germany

an enlisted back spine

Thin plate with loops! M15 type top... I have one of those with prong rosettes. But boy is this one modified! Cool. I agree vwith your theory. Nice.

Hi Mark:
A very beautiful helmet. FYI I have seen the round base conversion to cruciform spike once before. I have a Prussian Beamte officer helmet where this was done. In this case, there are no extra holes in the front because the helmet plate remained the same. Congratulations! Brian

Thanks Brian,

The more and more I play with this .. the more I really like it.. and the personality that it has.

But here is a question..... is this a (negative) in regards to helmet collectors.... You know .. you always hear the 'extra holes are baaaad) comments.

I've already had one collector that I mentioned this to call it a 'parts helmet'.. which personally... I think is way off base.....

What is everyone's thoughts ???

Cheers
Mark

It is a negative as folks want helmets with no extra holes, not that they understand them at all. Your theory seems perfectly correct to me. The only way to a reserve commission was after serving in the active force in a non-commissioned role. You HAD to change plates or buy a new helmet. This huge expense was regularly discouraged by the sellers and I have two catalogs (none Bavarian) that basically say no modifications like yours. Buy a new helmet! I like your helmet.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for that.... and I can understand soneone not wanting a 'parts' helmet that was made up for the collector market...

What I like about this one.... is the 'story' behind it. I'm normally a Uniform guy.. and i have two examples of 3rd Reich general's tunics that are kind of in the same ballpark. One tuic was named to the General as a Oberst... so when he made his rank.. in stead of buying a new uniform.. he took the old one in and had them replace all the insignia and buttons.

Another tunic is named to a General as a Lt. General..... when he made full General.. instead of replacing his shoulder boards, he removed the single pip from the center of each board and added two on either end. You can see where the single pip was (by the hole through the board).

In regards to helmet collectors.... how bad (or negative) of an effect would this be in regards to the helmets value ?

Cheers and Thanks... from a very very novice collector :D
Mark

from a very very novice collector
I don't think so......

Unfortunately double holes has a major price impact. How much exactly depends on the buyer. Few buyers value the story or the history. I'm sure your uniforms are also negatively affected. The problem with helmets is you have to find a buyer willing to buy it with its warts. Most want a perfect example and will pay for it. The problem with warts is you have to explain them to a potential buyer. He can wait and get one without holes. Sad but true.

Hey Joe,

Actually.. in regards to the uniforms.. it adds value instead of detract. It helps with the providence as it makes comlete sense in the real world.

From the sounds of it though... things are different when it comes to
the spikers. :cry:

And yes.. I'm a novice when it comes tothese.. but as Tony stated earlier.... it's easy to get 'bit' :D

Cheers
Mark

http://cgi.ebay.de/alte-originale-Pickelhaube-Dachbodenfund-1-WK_W0QQitemZ6252584367QQcategoryZ34649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Similar modifications on this Bavarian helmet. Steve

Modified yes but not as easy to explain. Active plate, patina does not match, stars not split brads. I do not like this at all. Again anything with warts .....

Back