Looking for a Dutch WWII M34 Helmet

Peter B

My wife is about 1/4 Dutch / German and while looking at my helmet connection tonight asked why I don’t have a WWII Dutch helmet.

So the hunt beings. Any leads or anyone have one for sale?

Thanks.

Peter

Peter, I will keep an eye out for you.
But these are, even here in the Netherlands, getting scarce. If I see one for sale, I will let you know.

Regards, Coert.

Peter, I will keep an eye out for you.
But these are, even here in the Netherlands, getting scarce. If I see one for sale, I will let you know.

Regards, Coert.
Thanks Coert. I appreciate that.

Saw a bunch of reproductions for sale and a few "sharp edge' versions on eBay. Of course one with an original with the badge would be ideal like the other attached picture.

My wife's family originated in Westbroeck. I have attached a picture from one of our holidays in Holland where she got to see the town.

Cheers.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 14
  • WWII-Dutch-Army-Helmet-1.jpeg
    WWII-Dutch-Army-Helmet-1.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Coert. I appreciate that.

Saw a bunch of reproductions for sale and a few "sharp edge' versions on eBay. Of course one with an original with the badge would be ideal like the other attached picture.

My wife's family originated in Westbroeck. I have attached a picture from one of our holidays in Holland where she got to see the town.

Cheers.

Peter
Peter, Westbroek is really quite near where I had my military training, I was a sergeant in the dutch army, years ago. Sergeant Geneeskundige Troepen. A sergeant in the Medical corps. As you know, and probably read, i will be visiting a quite large military fair at Overloon, I will keep an eye out for one. If you go searching for one yourself, be careful! These helmets were later re-used in civil defence organisations, and reissued.
Nowaday's they reappear, repainted and not quite original. Even the front lionbadge is often a reproduction. You need an original, with correct wappen and stamps. So, a CM stamp should be present on it. (CM stands for Centraal Magazijn.) I know what to look for.
If I find a good one, I'll let you know.

Regards, Coert.

Peter, Westbroek is really quite near where I had my military training, I was a sergeant in the dutch army, years ago. Sergeant Geneeskundige Troepen. A sergeant in the Medical corps. As you know, and probably read, i will be visiting a quite large military fair at Overloon, I will keep an eye out for one. If you go searching for one yourself, be careful! These helmets were later re-used in civil defence organisations, and reissued.
Nowaday's they reappear, repainted and not quite original. Even the front lionbadge is often a reproduction. You need an original, with correct wappen and stamps. So, a CM stamp should be present on it. (CM stands for Centraal Magazijn.) I know what to look for.
If I find a good one, I'll let you know.

Regards, Coert.
Thanks Coert - very good advice.

I appreciate you looking for me. Sent you a message as well.

Thanks for your service. I was an Artillery officer and served 33 years.

Cheers.

Peter

Thanks Coert - very good advice.

I appreciate you looking for me. Sent you a message as well.

Thanks for your service. I was an Artillery officer and served 33 years.

Cheers.

Peter
I responded to your message. That helmet looks perfect, but ask for pictures of the inside of the liner, to check for any stamps.
But, in my opinion, the helmet looks perfectly fine. correct paint, correct liner, and no signs of it being reissued later in the war.
Most of them were reissued, and painted different colours. That one is correct. Even the chinstrap is okay!

Regards, Coert.

Here are pictures from the dealers site.

Peter

Attachments

• BAC094C6-99FD-4309-92E9-590AD8D202BA.jpeg
    BAC094C6-99FD-4309-92E9-590AD8D202BA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 94823898-7899-409B-AC94-D414E4E832B5.jpeg
    94823898-7899-409B-AC94-D414E4E832B5.jpeg
    991.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A395B504-A304-447E-9239-9BF5D9F06032.jpeg
    A395B504-A304-447E-9239-9BF5D9F06032.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Perfectly original M34! Correct paint, correct liner, a wappen that is how it should be.
Most of those were reissued after the war, and even in the war were issued to Luftschutz. Very nice to have found a nice original one Peter.
These helmets go for a lot of money here in the Netherlands.
A fine piece of history! Congratulations Peter!

Regards, Coert. 👍

I received my helmet today and am very happy with it. A few pictures for those who are interested. It now sits in the "Allied" display.

Like Pickelhaubes this one is interesting in the sense that Coert advised me it is a Private Purchase helmet, probably bought by an officer, due to the different higher quality liner with the felt pads. They match the "fingers" of the liner.

It also seems like I got a really good deal on this one, which is always a bonus.

So one of my helmets now closes the Dutch connection in my wife's family.

Thanks again Coert for all your advice and help.

Cheers.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0427.jpeg
    IMG_0427.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0428.jpeg
    IMG_0428.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 7