Looking for photos of the first pickelhauben modell from Saxony-Meiningen

Sandmann

Dear fellow collectors,
does anyone have photos of the first pickelhauben modell from Saxony-Meiningen? If I'm right, it was released in 1853, but I haven't seen such a helmet yet.
Any help is appreciated.

Sandy,
The helmet is said to have been introduced in 1846. See excerpt ‚ Ulrich Schiers, Katalog Nr. 5 Kopfbedeckungen, Museum Rastatt ‚!
Best regards
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Sandy,
The helmet is said to have been introduced in 1846. See excerpt ‚ Ulrich Schiers, Katalog Nr. 5 Kopfbedeckungen, Museum Rastatt ‚!
Best regards
Frank
Frank, be careful with older information, because unfortunately a lot of incorrect information about the helmet has been published over the years, probably due to a lack of sources. This catalog was written in 1988, before the internet. The same Ulrich Schiers wrote in a later book "Mit Gott, für Fürst und Vaterland" ("With God, for Prince and Fatherland"), that the helmet was introduced in 1853. This also corresponds to my research, since I found a protocol from june 1850, from the Landtag Sachsen-Meiningen, in which it is written that the introduction of the helmet is coming:
That's the reason why I started to investigate the history of the Pickelhaube in contemporary sources.

Reactions: ccj
Hi Sandy,
Well, I hadn't gotten into it yesterday and thought that this originating source could quietly go in here as the first piece of evidence. Well then, do you know this source from a contribution of Ulrich Heer from the ZfH?
Kind regards
Frank

Frank, this is a very interesting discussion for me and I'm very pleased that you initiated it. I didn’t know your source. Could you please tell me the issue of the ZfH with the article?
However, Ulrich Schiers referenced to the same document, but it reads as it were viewed as a state of research (Source: „Mit Gott für Fürst und Vaterland“ by Ulrich Schiers (2005), page 42, 43) and as I wrote before, it corresponds to the protocol from the Landtag Sachsen-Meiningen (1850):
766971CB-B48F-48D7-AF6E-464767D6BD9D.jpeg2D23412B-B91A-4A7D-885C-A868E4D0BA9D.jpeg

Reactions: ccj
Hello Sandy,
ZfH No. 403 from January/March 2002. Here Ulrich Heer points out this primary source for the first time!
U. Schiers then adopted this information in his book “With God for Prince and Fatherland” from 2005.
best regards
Frank (y)

Back