Looks to be a liner to Pickelhaube bead roller.

I missed this thread four years ago! I use a 'bead roller' quite often making 'medieval' armor. It's very handy and can be used to start all kinds of ribbing and such on various parts of armor. Here's a back plate, the 'arm openings' for which I used the roller.

Attachments

• BackCuletPlate.jpg
    BackCuletPlate.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
I missed this thread four years ago! I use a 'bead roller' quite often making 'medieval' armor. It's very handy and can be used to start all kinds of ribbing and such on various parts of armor. Here's a back plate, the 'arm openings' for which I used the roller.
The eagle motif on the armor resembles King Sigismund II Augustus (1568)?

Here are some photos from my archives of B.I.A. (repair stores) or suppliers' fabrication/assembly workshops.

B.A. 12 Saxon: operation to recycle M95s into M15s
0M95-M15  Feldbrauchbar.jpg

Military workshop : :
AIGUISAGE EN ATELIER.jpg

Atelier du fabricant BUSSE : Atelier   C.BUSSE.jpg

Atelier de montage.jpg

Infra, Weissenburger or Von der Heyde workshop : sheet metal helmets are made here, the only helmets to be made in 3 parts (the neck cover and visor are crimped to the shell along with the basane liner).
Atelier de pickel.jpg

Frankonia Beierfeld workshop:
atelier Frankonia Beierfeld (Saxe).jpg

Balancing pressto make eagles. :
atelier N_ presse  balancier aigles.jpgAtelier Niel Frankonia (Saxe).jpgatelier Niel Frankonia Saxe).jpg

Here, the helmet is stamped from a single piece of sheet metal. No crimping.
Atelier Niel Frankonia.....jpgAtelier Niel Frankonia...jpgatelier Niel Frankonia..jpg

The various stamping steps involved in making a Stahlhelm from a steel plate wafer.
Atelier Stahlhelm16.jpg

Atelier sertisseuse.jpg
The above-mentioned crimper was for the Weissenburger-Cannstatt helmet, a registered design accepted by the German army and the subject of a supply contract. (and also the Von der Heyde, manufactured in Berlin under license from Weissenburger).
VdH I°typ pointe rajoutée.jpg
VdH Cmd-Jps marques.jpg

The basane liner is missing. You can clearly see the remains of the leather, stuck in the crimping bead.VdH Cmd-Jps 550€22.jpg

All other sheet metal hulls are in one piece.5((y
(including Bing).Ersatz strates chaudronnerie.GIF
Tôle.jpg

Bavarian Bing
Bing linguets fixe-coiffe.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like felts and tin helmets were made at the same time.
I don't think so. I'm thinking more of the M15 sheet metal model, entirely painted in Feldgrau (khaki). Felt helmets, in fact, have iron trimmings that are not the same color as the felt, whereas here, the whole helmet is the same color.
Rvon der Heyden 1500€EBay22.jpgVdH Feldgrau HistoricHM.jpg

I don't think so. I'm thinking more of the M15 sheet metal model, entirely painted in Feldgrau (khaki). Felt helmets, in fact, have iron trimmings that are not the same color as the felt, whereas here, the whole helmet is the same color.
Weissenburger EB feutre.jpg

0we recognize the Teller-style crimped tip (to compensate for the felt bomb) and the faux rivets, typical of Weissenburger.
Weissenburger pte sertie EB18.jpg
But the sheet metal Ersatz factories only made iron helmets.
To my knowledge, only Weissenburger (and VdHeyden) made helmets in iron and felt.
Only BING made helmets in iron and pressed cardboard.

I respectively disagree with you.
The black tin helmets have a sheen and the grey/green helmets do not.
You can see in the pics that some of the grey helmets wappens have a sheen.
The bodies don't.
So in my eyes they are making felts along with tins.
In one of the pics the flat spot under the cocarde area is flexing. ( felt)
The tin bodied would not flex like this.

The eagle motif on the armor resembles King Sigismund II Augustus (1568)?
Similar, yes. My branch of the family is descended from minor nobility. However, the area they were in was known for Poniatowski member who were indeed knights. I just found that out last week and thought it odd that I make armor. :)

Back