Lorraine Battlefields Photo Impressions

rrjr46.jpg

Dear Pickelhaube Friends,

I realize that there are many forum members here, who are always interested in my updates or extensions of my photo impressions of the Battlefields of the Western Front nowadays.

With the introduction of a new photo impression about Lorraine I decided to add on my website an extra category to the 3 already existing categories (Dutch: “Rubrieken”) of Alsace impressions, Sundgau, Vosges, and Northern Vosges;
“Alsace – LORRAINE”.

The reason for adding this extra category was the recent release of my New Photo Impression:
“The Gap of Charmes – la Trouée de Charmes”.
This trip we start at the Léomont near Vitrimont, Nancy and Lunéville and we will with some exceptions concentrate on the Battle of Lorraine of August-September 1914 in the area, called, the “Trouée de Charmes”, the Gap of Charmes.

I changed also the positions of two other photo pages from the Alsace-Northern Vosges category to the new Alsace-Lorraine category, respectively:

“Avricourt - Leintrey - Reillon - Domèvre - Montreux – Parux” and

ev6tfc.jpg

“Montreux - German Front Walk 14-18 - Circuit du Front Allemand 14-18”.

34476uu.jpg

Although both photo impressions start in the Northern Vosges, the main part of these two impressions are related to locations on the Lorraine battlefields, directly east of Lunéville. These last Lorraine impressions cover the years 1915-1917.

Most remarkable on these two last pages are the period pictures, made available to me by our fellow forum members and photo collectors, here nicknamed , JoeRookery and DrakeGoodman.

You will find hundreds of pictures of the battlefields of nowadays, but also maps, satellite views, period pictures, and in frames richly illustrated, concise historical information about these locations. You will find photo's of bunkers, trenches, and war cemeteries. I translated the French and German inscriptions in English for better understanding. If you would not believe it, see it for yourself, and visit my website! :D

You can start the virtual trip at “The Gap of Charmes – la Trouée de Charmes”. Below each page you will find my avatar and a link to guide you to the next chapter about the Lorraine battlefields.

In January and February next year I intend to expand the chapter about the Alsace Vosges Battlefields. After finishing this chapter, I will inform you here again.
I hope, that you will enjoy these pages about Lorraine as much, as you do enjoy my Photo Impressions about other more known battlefields along the Western Front.

Thank you for visiting my website now and later!

Pierre

Pierre,

You know how much I love your photo impressions. Goodness this one seemed very very long and wonderful! Thank you. As you footnoted as well do you think that the original researcher made a mistake on the equestrian statue picture? It is clearly in his article but I think this picture is of Murat. What do you think?
300px-Lasalle-wagram.jpg

Ron and Joe, it is always a fine moment to read such positive comments here. :) Thank you both!
In relation to the picture of Gen. Lasalle. Although I have read twice in my life the extensive biography about Napoléon by the Dutch professor Presser, I am not at all much "into" the military aspect of uniforms etc. of that period. I confess that I was more interested in the aspect of the first strictly organised and bureaucratised all controlling dictatorship of Napoleon, Joe.
I checked on internet some of "your Murat" images, and I compared these to some portraits of Lasalle. Lasalle possessed a "Kaiser-like" moustache with the points pointing upward. (Forgive me my Dunglish here), as Murat has a more simple type of moustache or no moustache at all in his portraits.
Being no expert on these times, as I already said, I just trusted the guy of Wikipedia, who in any way seems to know a lot more about this period than I do. But, Joe, of course if you can convince me with another portrait of Lasalle , which is available, I would gladly post the more reliable version, that you will suggest. :) . Thanks again, gentlemen.

Pierre - As always, fabulous.

I find that your site is a bit like going into a movie theater for a good movie - it is like a time machine. Spending an hour on your new sections is a great pleasure.

Eric in Dallas

Eric, thanks! :) You write a.o.: “a bit like going into a movie theater for a good movie - it is like a time machine. “ In your case and after reading your opinion, I will allow myself to say for once; mission completed! :D

Back