Luftstreitkräfte um 1918

Isn't the cap in the photo a different style helmet?

I must be seeing things; they say sight is the first thing to go :cry:

Isn't the cap in the photo a different style helmet?

I must be seeing things; they say sight is the first thing to go :cry:
I believe it is the same style. It would be easier to tell if he wasn’t wearing a scarf in the photo

I believe it is the same style. It would be easier to tell if he wasn’t wearing a scarf in the photo

The Helmet in the photo has what looks like a round cap on the peak similar to the roold style. That's just what it looks like to me, but I could certainly be wrong.
It looks nice together, do the helmet or the goggles have any manufacture's label of any stampings?

The Helmet in the photo has what looks like a round cap on the peak similar to the roold style. That's just what it looks like to me, but I could certainly be wrong.
It looks nice together, do the helmet or the goggles have any manufacture's label of any stampings?
John Josef
There are no labels/stamps on the headgear or goggles. What appears to be a round cap on the peak is actually an additional strap. Not sure what it was used for. I’ve only seen the bigger Roold type flight helmets, never seen a lightweight model.
Dennis

8520C8B0-7496-4544-954A-92AA338AB13D.jpeg

John Josef
There are no labels/stamps on the headgear or goggles. What appears to be a round cap on the peak is actually an additional strap. Not sure what it was used for. I’ve only seen the bigger Roold type flight helmets, never seen a lightweight model.
Dennis

View attachment 40597

Hello,
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. It certainly looks like a circular cap in the photo, but it could be the strap playing tricks on the eye. I think they look nice together. I only have the traditional Padded grey green helmet and a leather mink fir lined bomber pilots' glove with the extra fir lined flap that folds over the fingers when in flight to keep the fingers from freezing.

Hello,
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. It certainly looks like a circular cap in the photo, but it could be the strap playing tricks on the eye. I think they look nice together. I only have the traditional Padded grey green helmet and a leather mink fir lined bomber pilots' glove with the extra fir lined flap that folds over the fingers when in flight to keep the fingers from freezing.
Would love to see photos of your helmet and gloves!

Hi guys, give me a couple of days and I will take a few shots and post them I'm pretty busy with Family for the Holidays.

The glove is really special to me, I've seen many helmets but only one glove like this in hand.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I finally had a little free time.

Here is the Helmet, I like it and enjoy having it as part my small Aviation collection. I hope to one day have an original Pilots tunic to go with it. In 50 years of collecting, I've only ever seen two that I really believed to be original, and both were already in collections and not leaving anytime soon. :cry:

P Helm.jpeg

And here is the glove which I really love, as collectors we all have those special pieces that just talk to us and for me this is one.

I really love it's look as well as the fir with a cup like piece that is also fur lined and can be worn over the fingers to protect from cold. I also really like the markings. regards John Josef

glove 1.jpeg
glove 2.jpegglove 3.jpeg
glove 6.jpeg

glove 7.jpeggloves 4.jpegglove 5.jpeg

Excellent pieces for your collection @John Josef !
I never have seen a glove like it before, the helmet I sometimes have seen several for sale, but also a very nice item! And also quite rare.
They don't come up for sale that much.

Regards, Coert.

Excellent pieces for your collection @John Josef !
I never have seen a glove like it before, the helmet I sometimes have seen several for sale, but also a very nice item! And also quite rare.
They don't come up for sale that much.

Regards, Coert.

Thanks, much appreciated (y)

I've only ever seen pictures of gloves like these in original period photos of pilots so I'm extremely happy to have it in my collection. I also have another rare piece of aviation history in my collection it's a hub from a German planes propeller that was made into a clock which is also well marked.

I really like the different pieces that have a personal feel to them, they really take you back to the period.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I finally had a little free time.

Here is the Helmet, I like it and enjoy having it as part my small Aviation collection. I hope to one day have an original Pilots tunic to go with it. In 50 years of collecting, I've only ever seen two that I really believed to be original, and both were already in collections and not leaving anytime soon. :cry:

View attachment 41108
Wow, two great pieces of flieger gear! The glove is amazing, never seen one before except in period photos, and the makings…excellent!
Cheers,
Dennis

Wow, two great pieces of flieger gear! The glove is amazing, never seen one before except in period photos, and the makings…excellent!
Cheers,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I very much appreciate it, glad you like them. (y)

I thought other serious collectors and lovers of the period would appreciate the glove as much as I do.

Personal items that would serve a great purpose after the war usually never survive. Unlike helmets and such they weren't put into storage but were worn after the war till they could no longer be used making them much harder to find.

Back