M 15 Line Kurassiers

Spiker

Sizes
54 , 58 , 60

Makers from left to right ,
Lachmann –Berlin , Schulz & Holdefleiss –Berlin , Herm. Weissenburger & Cie. Canstatt

Thanks Francis.

To do a little comparing; :study:

The spike on the Holdefleiss is made out of two pieces, and not often seen in this way, maybe here ,still in a state of development.

The wappen on the Lachmann and the Weissenburger are identical, the inside lugs are square.
The wappen on the Holdefleiss has the pointy banner.

The liner in the Holdefleiss is black and in the others with untreated lamb skin.

The cockades are all of different sizes ,the smallest is on the Lachmann ,just like the infantry helmet ,slightly bigger is the one on the Weissenburger ,and the biggest is on the Holdefleiss.

The neck tail of the Lachmann has an extra weld finish, while the others don’t.

These are not rules ! just observations ,it would be perfectly possible, during the years of production ,that for instance Holdefleiss suddenly decided to make helmets with untreated lamb skin too .

Great set Ed!

Still looking for my perfect Lachmann myself #-o

From your photos, the Holdefleiss seems to have the cavalry M15 adler while the other 2 have a regular infantry style M15 wappen.

RON said:
From your photos, the Holdefleiss seems to have the cavalry M15 adler while the other 2 have a regular infantry style M15 wappen.

Yes they do and that’s how they were issued ,the wappen on the Lachmann was almost bolted on ,as the leather pieces completely turned stonehard.

Actually, to this date, I haven't seen a Lachmann with a Cavalry-style wappen.
Starting with Tony's (Kaiser Bunker) all the way to Ed's.
So they do seem to have always been issued with Infrantry-style adlers.

What a great "Konvolut", Ed! Congratulations.
The Lachman I own also has the infantry-type eagle.
Bruno

Super trio of M15 Kurassiers Ed, Congratulations! =D> :bravo:

My Lachman also has the Infantry style e.m. eagle.

Best Regards,

Alan

Wonderful trio Ed! Would you mind if I printed out the last comparison photo? The differences in shape are very interesting.

:D Ron

Thank you for the enthusiasm gents. :)

poniatowski said:
Wonderful trio Ed! Would you mind if I printed out the last comparison photo? The differences in shape are very interesting.

Go ahead Ron, I’m glad you find my pictures interesting. :thumb up:

Spiker said:
Thank you for the enthusiasm gents. :)

poniatowski said:

Go ahead Ron, I’m glad you find my pictures interesting. :thumb up:

Thanks! Done. Yes, these are great photos and some very nice helmets. You have a fine collection.

This puts me in the mind to keep an eye out for an M15 Kuerassier spike and base. I bought my M15 (a CE Junker) many years ago when I knew little of spiked helmets and it has a line infantry spike on it... probably not original to the helmet. [-( So, a way to improve an otherwise nice helmet.

Indeed Ron ,there are no period pictures known to me with an M 15 being equipped with the infantry spike ,although Weitze is selling a Lachmann like that. :twisted:

You're right Ed, that one has been there for a while although with almost all its grey paint gone...

I always wonder why they don't mention or at least try to fix those discrepancies, especially when their asking prices are higher than most other dealers, and that's before taxes! [-(

Back