M.1860 15.I.R. EM

Sadowa

• Hello to all in this forum,
    after long long time of the braek of my collecting activityI have been reinfected by haubevirus and I am back on board.
    I came a cross this old pickelhaube- prussian M.1860 for infantery EM.
    I think it was converted from the older model 1857 as there are clearly visible the previous sealed holes when the plate has been replaced higher.
    The plate has FWR in oval and is correct to 1860 regulation as well as the clover leaf with the short front leaf.
    Unit markings on the inner side of the shell sounds : 15.I.R. 1.B. 1.C. and the year 1859
    The whole helmet seems to be in very good condition except the one screw of the clover leaf is fixed by wrong flat nut and the second-the plate is fixed on one side by by split brad.
    My questions:
    1/ is it correct the unit markings / the year 1859 / to the M.1860 ?
    2/ is the plate with FWR in oval correct to 15.I.R. ? I thought this plate was given only to 12 th regiments
    Thank you for your opinion and advices.
IMG-1272.jpg

IMG-1273.jpg

IMG-1274.jpg

IMG-1275.jpg

IMG-1276.jpg

15 IR used a standard Prussian Wappen, gilt line eagle, without the cipher.
The date may be from the earlier M1857 helmet, before it was cut down.
The Kokarde is beautiful, as is the entire helmet. Is it leather or painted felt?

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

• Thank you for your fast response.
    It is all I thought myself- for 15.I.R. -used to be line eagle without FWR cipher.
    Kokarde can be leather as well as painted wool or felt,don´t know exactly now.
    I diccovered this hlemet when I have visited my friend collector after 12 years. I am going to trade this helmet with him. Fortunately he prefers austrian swords to prussian helmets.

It is an absolutely beautiful helmet.
I love the older stuff.
My example with a painted felt Kokarde is here:

https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12354

John :)

• Your helmet is realy outstanding! I have nearly the same but no modified base and spike-it was my first post in this forum 13 years ago. The Kokarde on my one is leather
    https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2824&p=17540#p17540

I got it !
So I can add some pictures:

1/ I revealed another markings : 1865
it can be the date when the abgrade to 1860 regulation has been done,I guess.[/list]
01.jpg

02.jpg

• 2/ The Kokarde is pressed leather-clearly visible from the reverse side.
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

• 3/ Very nice maker´s mark on the fron visor trim: J.B.Dotti
03.jpg

I believe that is a new maker for us. The only stamped maker like that so far has been Clemens.

b.loree said:
I believe that is a new maker for us. The only stamped maker like that so far has been Clemens.

One of my M1860's is stamped J.B. Dotti.
I added it to Colonel J's list.

John :)

Back