M.1867 for Artillery

Sadowa

• Hello, all of you,
    I am showing you here my last picklehaube-bought couple of weeks ago on eBay.The pictures have been taken just after I took it from the box.
    I belive it is M.1867 for Artillery-due to the sealed inscription on the inner surface F.A.R 10- FeldArtillery Regiment No.10./clearly visible on the scan /
    Nevertheles it looks like to be in original period condition I have some doubts if all parts belong to each other.
    The kokarden-they are Pattern 1891-it is clear.What about the chinscales? I think for Artillery used to be rounded not flat. The helmet plate is the old one-before M.1860 with Bandeau soldered to the front.Is it possible that they have been using this kind also by M.1867? Next -fixing of the helmet plate is not realized with two sliders but with bolts and nuts.There are no signs of coresponding mounts for the sliders.,there are no other holes,too.
    Be so kind and let me know your opinion.
    Thank you,Sadowa

• 01-2.jpg

02-3.jpg

03-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

05-1.jpg

06-2.jpg

07-1.jpg

08-2.jpg

09-1.jpg

10-2.jpg

Sadowa said:
//inscription on the inner surface F.A.R 10- FeldArtillery Regiment No.10.//The kokarden-they are Pattern 1891-it is clear.What about the chinscales? I think for Artillery used to be rounded not flat.

Hello Sadowa,

You are correct, the scales should be rounded. Are you sure it is "FAR10". Not "AF10"? Often helmets are thought to be Feldartillerie (rounded) when they are actually Fußartillerie.

Sadowa said:
//The helmet plate is the old one-before M.1860 with Bandeau soldered to the front.Is it possible that they have been using this kind also by M.1867? //

Absolutely. In nothing else, the Preußen army was frugal! Only helmet Wappen made after 1867 would have the M67 sliders. The Preußens would not waste the brass by adding sliders onto perfectly useable bolts from older Wappens. What is interesting, is that you have an older M1842 modified to M1860 Wappen, on a helmet that was made as an M1867. That all looks fine to me. Perhaps only the chinscales (and those M91 Kokarden of course) are incorrect?

• Thank you Toni,
    the inscription is F.A.R 10- see the new scan. I believe this has to be Feldartilerie Reigemt von Scharnhorst Nr.10 -was founded 1830 year.
    To compare to 10. Niedersachsisches Fußartillerie-Regiment which was founded 1871 year. I guess this could not have this M.1867,could he?
    If there were not the 91 Kokarden I would belive that all parts are correct and belong to each other-because of the same rough condition.But the Kokarden are not period it means someone who gave them there could also add the chinscales to make the helmet complet.
    By the way- there use to be only one "black and white" Kokarde on the right side,yes?

• 09-Kopie.jpg

Fußartillerie-Regiment 10 could have worn an M1867. It took years for each new model to be issued, I have photos of Garde Regiments wearing M1887 helmets after 1897.

But, the stamp is F.A.R 10. so it is FAR. So the chinscales have been replaced, you need rounded. And you are correct again, you only need a single Prussian small-hole Kokarde on the right side.

Hi Sadowa

As old helmet collector, I can tell you: congratulations: wonderful old re issued plate and wonderful stamp.

Back