M15 BAVARIAN GREATCOAT, ADVICE PLEASE.

oradour

HI :D , IVE BEEN OFFERED A BAVARIAN M15 GREATCOAT, (FIELD GREY COLLAR), THERE ARE SOME CONCERNS :-? , CAN ANYBODY TELL ME/ADVISE ME, THE COAT IS MARKED INSIDE, ' B D 111 1917 'AS WELL AS USUAL SIZE MARKINGS, I HAVE LOOKED BUT CAN ONLY FIND ' B A ' MARKINGS FOR REFRENCE, NO ' B D ' :eek: . THE COLLAR DOES NOT HAVE THE BLUE/WHITE BAVARIAN TRESSE ATTACHED, WAS THIS ALLWAYS FITTED?...THE COAT IS MISSING ITS BUTTONS, WAS THE COAT AT THIS LATE STAGE IN THE WAR STILL FITTED WITH BAVARIAN ' LION ' BUTTONS?... INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRIECIATED :D .
THANKS, STEVE LEE :cool: .

HeY Steve,
I recently picked up a nice Bav Mantel, it is dated 1917, with out the tresse and has the rampant lion buttons. I can not remember the markings for sure, they are posted somewhere on this forum I think. Unforthunatly, the Mantel in about 12 miles from home at this time. Here is a photo of the Coat.
bav1eu3.jpg

Best wihses
Gus

THANX, NICE COAT, I GUESS THE TRESSE WASNT ALLWAYS FITTED, IT LOOKS IDENTICAL TO THE COAT I HAVE BEEN OFFERED, I IMAGINE I WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP THE BUTTONS AT A LATER TIME, IT IS THE MARKING THAT I NEED TO KNOW IS CORRECT,
STEVE LEE

Hey Steve, How soon do you need a reply on the markings? I could get into town in the next day or two to look. It sticks in my head that the markings are BaDII 1917, but I am not sure. Unfortunatly, I did not save the photo of the markings, and they were posted on JPS's forum on Gunboards (the old forum, snd that is no longer available) John bought a similar coat a couple of months before I got mine, and his has the Imperial buttons on it. Finding buttons is possible, but it takes stime as one usually only finds a couple at a time. I understand that the cuffs were removed because they would gather mud and dirt, another reason to remove them is because of wear on the fold where the cuff is turned back, and then seamed.
Best wihses
Gus

GUS,IM NOT IN A HURRY, I CAN GET THE COAT ON APPROVAL, THEN I CAN POST A PHOTO & SWOP INFO. THANKS FOR YOU HELP, APPRIECIATED. I THINK IMPERIAL BUTTONS WOULD BE EASIER TO LOCATE, I ALREADY HAVE SEVERAL. I NOTICED YOUR COAT HAS NO SHOULDER STRAPS, BAVARIAN ONES ARE PROBABLY HARDER TO FIND.
REGARDS, STEVE LEE

Yup, anything Bavarian seems to command a premium. A Mantel displays well with out shoulder straps, as many front line soldiers did not wear them on the Mantel, my Prussian does not have the buttons on the shoulders, and it appears that it never did.
Gus

Gus,

Don't worry about the 12 mile trip into town, here are some photos of the markings in your Bavarian M1916 Mantel. The Mantel you stole from me remember :D

Mike
55940531_o1.jpg

55940538_o1.jpg

55940514_o1.jpg

55940623_o.jpg

55940614_o1.jpg

55940646_o1.jpg

Mike,nice coat, wish i'd stole it from you!...thanx 4 posting, the markings are textbook, ' BA ' Those on this coat are ' B D '.
Regards, STEVE LEE

Hey Steve,
I really did not steal this coat from Mike, he was too cheap to pay the postage from Italy (it was 50 bucks US, not like that is real money, heck that isn't even 25 quid, and back then the Au$ was only worth about 37 cents, so he psyched him self out) so I was able to get it for about 400 bucks cheaper than it could have cost. I am sure I have seen BD markings on Bavarian items, Joe might be of help as soon as he recovers from his month long cruise.

Hey Mike,
Thanks for saveing me the drive to town and for letting me out bid you on the coat. I am beginning to like the hidden bidder's name on fleabay, that way I do not know who's toes I am stepping on until I am out of reach for retaliation.
Best wishes
Gus

A good discussion of BD is in this thread. I don't see any solution yet.

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20263#20263

HI GUS & MIKE,
I NOW HAVE THE COAT :D ! I AM KEEPING IT, IT IS NOT GOING BACK :) !! IT IS TOTALY ORIGINAL, HAS HAD A REPAIR TO THE FRONT, A LONG RIP, WHICH LOOKS PERIOD & DOESNT DETRACT, GOOD PILE, EVERYTHINGS THERE THAT SHOULD BE, I WILL POST PHOTO'S IN THE NEXT WEEK :cool: . I HAVE JUST BOUGHT 2 SHOULDER STRAP BUTTONS & 3 LARGER FRONT BUTTONS ( BAVARIAN LION ) ON FLEABAY FOR $19 :) , I NEED 3 MORE TO COMPLETE. I PAID £175 (APPROX $350) FOR THE COAT I RECKON I GOT A BARGAIN :D . STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT ' B D ' STANDS FOR, THANX 4 YOUR HELP & ADVICE GUYS, PRICELESS :) !!!
REGARDS STEVE LEE :) .

Hey Steve, From the discription, it sounds like you will want to try to get as much of your money back as possible, I would be willing to pay $200 for it to help you out:) To be honest, if I did not already have a nice one, I would be very jealous, but I am very happy you got it for a great price, by the time you get the correct buttons on it, you will double the value easily, I am looking forward to seeing photos, be sure to have Mike save you photos for you as it saves memory on your computer.
Best wihses
Gus

oradour,

Hello. Actually, by regulation, the Bavarian Einheitsmantel was supposed to have the same style generic M15 crown buttons as ordered worn on the Bluse. In practice, however, the Bavarians continued to use the lion buttons that they had on hand. I would think if you were to use lion buttons they would at least have to be the painted steel type that were being used on Bavarian tunics when the Bluse was introduced.

I believe that the "B.D." marking was used by Bavarians exclusively and the abbreviation stands for "Bekleidungs Depot".

Chip

At this late time I am sure you must have an answer, but BD (as opposed to BA) is specific the the Bavarian III Armeekorps supply depot, or Bekleidungsdepot.

I am very interested in seeing these BDIII stampings, and any regimental markings as well.

BDIII has another quirk of a number in a box next to the BDIII over the date--Hersteller code number. What is in your coat, oradour?

Beautiful Einheitsmantel shown here!

I know this is an old thread, but if you could post the code on the left hand side of the "B.D.III" stamp, I would appreciate it.

Lion buttons are not unusual at all on 1916 Bavarian clothing items. They were just using up the stocks they had on hand. I have a near mint 1916 dated Bluse with all original lion buttons. My 1917 dated Bavarian overcoat has the M15 universal crown buttons and the Bavarian braid on the front edge of the collar.

Chip

Back