M15 Mystery

A

Anonymous

After seeing James' beautiful Liberty Loan M15 Tschapka, and knowing of Mikey's affinity for M15 Hauben, I thought this humble offering from my collection might generate some analytical buzz.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. My sole comments are: the helmet is nearly as pristine as the day it was made, and everything you see is original.

Let's see what your observations are.

Chas.

KICX0347.jpg

KICX0348.jpg

KICX0350.jpg

Hi there Chas! This helme is anythingbut 'umble - imho!
A stunner, no less.
But the mystery hmmm. I guess the spike is fixed and brass - right? Thats perfectly feasable though, aint it. And the trim too possibly - brass?, thats OK. The bird looks a less bluey-grey than the paint on the spike but that could be the photo [or my eyes!]. But really the Beckleidungs-amt mark should be B.A. XXI -right? Thats a bit odd.
What are the other stamps inside? Have I missed something major?

spikeymikey said:
Hi there Chas! This helme is anythingbut 'umble - imho!
A stunner, no less.
But the mystery hmmm... But really the Beckleidungs-amt mark should be B.A. XXI -right? Thats a bit odd.
What are the other stamps inside? Have I missed something major?

Spike's observation is quite correct if we accept that Bekleidungsamt were kept in tight correlation to the Corps command structure which I have always questioned.

In looking at the battle history of this regiment it is stated that recruiting from XXI Corps area of Alsace Lorraine became problematic and thus recruits were drawn from Westphalia and the Rhine Province. I have no reference available as I write this but ask, what Corps was represented in those areas?

As the war progressed is it possible that the "BA" markings reflect supply facilities that are closely connected with recruit depots?

Hi Mike:

You've hit upon all the points. Yes, the spike is static like the M91, but it is not brass. The metal for spike, base, brads, visor trim, Knopf 91 and rear spine are magnetic. There is no paint to be found anywhere on these parts. My best guess is they were anodized. Slight traces of Feldgrau colored parkerizing are visible on the spike, brads, and in the recesses of the Knopf 91.

Though the eagle fits perfectly, there is an impression of a Preußen line eagle of slightly larger proportions on the face of the helmet. The present eagle has a painted finish. It is possible the original was likewise anodized.

The other markings inside the helmet are "57" and "Julius Jansen, Strassburg, 1915."

You are also quite correct about IR 138 and B.A. XXI. The IR 138 is stamped over the B.A. XV 1915 mark. The XV Armee-Korps was garrisoned at Straßburg, which makes sense given the Jansen Fabrik. Where did the "I.R. 138" come from?

So what is it: a Probe or "transitional" helmet that eventually found its way into service; a helmet originally intended for the XV Armee-Korps that was issued instead to the XXI; an unissued helmet that became a Liberty Loan prize and was stamped "I.R. 138" by someone who didn't know any better?

I was being facetious when I described the helmet as humble. However, being Preußen, it does not rank high on the rarity stats. If this thing were in beater condition on eBay we wouldn't look twice at it except to say wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's only when they look really pretty that speculation and rationalization become a "legitimate" pursuit. Does anyone have something like this lurking in his collection? I'd love to see another.

Chas.

Hi George:

I was typing will you were posting. Thanks for your contribution too.

Chas.

Hi Chas,
Is the helmet shell leather? To my eyes the material looks too perfect for leather. Could it be some other material? Bill

Do I get a brownie or something nice if I can lead you close to this one? I'm just in a great mood as Janet and I have enjoyed a wonderful day as only retirees can.

The helmet Mark is not a mystery as much as it is a wonderful example.
If you read the article http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/DepotMarks.htm#_ednref6
it might start to show the answer. Or maybe even confuse you more!

In peacetime, pre-war Germany equipment was issued by Army Corps. Each Corps had a small but very important supply unit called the Bekleidungsamt (BKA). Consider them clothing depots. It seems however, that 4 of the 25 Corps did not at first glance have an independent BKA. XVIII, XX, XXI and III Bavarian Corps seemed to have doubled on an older BKA.

VIII Corps in Coblenz seems to have picked up much of the slack in the missing BKAs. They did parts of XVIII Corps, parts of XXI Corps and assorted other units like the NCO school. II Corps picked up XX corps. XV picked up most of XXI Corps. XI Corps picked up Regiment 87 & 88 from XVIII Corps as well as both Eisenbahn Regiment 2 & 3. Mostly I Bavarian Corps but some of II Bavarian Corps picked up Bavarian III Corps.

The source that I quote: Freidag, B., F?durch Heer und Flotte, Verlag Heer der Bergangenheit, Krefeld, 1914. Pg. 193.
In footnote 13 he goes on to explain the brigades that were covered by the 15th Corps 59, 62, 65 brigade. Infantry Regiment, 138, was part of the 42nd division 59th brigade.

So we have here an example of a helmet accepted by the 15th BKA and issued out to infantry Regiment, 138. You'll not find the BKA XXI, because as a force structure saving method. They didn't have one. One truly wonderful thing about this whole question is that I noticed that the map of corps areas in Das Deutsche Heer (text volume) is wrong. It shows a 1912 distribution and cites 1914.

What do you think do I get the obscure human prize?

Kudos to you, Joe. Thank you for your research and sharing the information. However, I doubt I can improve upon Mike's prize. I wonder if she's the source for von Richtofen's hair.

Like the old wheeze: Why are Dolly Parton's feet so small?

Because things don't grow well in the shade.

Chas. :wink:

Back