m16 camo

feel76

Hi guys i need your opinion on a helmet i would like to buy. could you please help. Is the camo original? the backrivet is gone.

http://community.webshots.com/album/573310702nfqhjv

kind regards

I think the term original is a difficult one when it comes to camo German helmets, this como looks old and correct, I think it is good, but there are stories about US soldiers wanting a camo helmet and having it painted after the war.
gus

Looks like a nice one to me. I'd go for it.
Inspection period a must!!!!
Good luck.
:D :D
Jerry R.
(I've an extra rear rivet if interested.)

While there are new scratches over the paint which are all rusted almost equally, it is also evident that the paint was covered over old dents and scratches. And e.g. on picture number 12 you can see running drips which I have not seen on originals yet and which indicates a thinner paint than usual. In any case, assure yourself that the seller lets you examine it with return option as Jery mentioned.

At first sight a great helmet. Nevertheless, the longer I look at the pics, the more I'm getting some doubts. I can be wrong about it, but here's what concerns me:
1) No return policy...
2) In pic "camo 5" you can see the ocer paint is very dirty. The dirt is dark grey to black. Yet on the helmet there are traces of a white dust or something, also on the liner. Can't see what it actually is. Sorry, but this looks artificial to me...
3) The rust looks to new to me. When it's 90 years old rust, it should look much darker. The rust on the liner pins has the same color as the rust on the outside, this is also strange...
Every separate fact is maybe no problem, but these 3 together give me a wrong signal...
I know, it's not easy to tell if this camo is 100% legit, only by seeing a few pictures, so I sugest to inspect this helmet with great caution...

Adler 1

i have added some more pictures of the rust. The price is really worth to take a risk. The rest of the helmet is 100% original?

hi guys i wanted to let you know that there are some people who think it is 200% ok others think it is not. I will take the risk. I will make loads of pics and maybe i will meet someone of you on a european convention and can show it to you. There goes nothing..............

Hi guys, i have the helmet and i have made some more pics. Could you please take a look again? it is a F.C. Bellinger, Fulda B.F.64

http://community.webshots.com/album/573310702nfqhjv?start=24

Having owned 40+ of these M16-M18 camouflage helmets, it looks good to me. The four colours look correct and original, it has the brush marks, paint drips, etc generally seen on camouflage helmets. The patina looks right - some retain a slight sheen, some dull to a matt finish through oxidation, it all depends on the amount of sunlight/dust/abuse/tobacco smoke the helmet has been exposed to over the past 91 years. I would not be concerned by the fact that the camo scheme has been applied over the top of chips/scratches; remember that many helmets had been in service for a yrear or two before they were painted in this scheme.

:) :)

Mike

As I've photographed a LOT of steel helmets I can tell you that rust almost always looks brighter in a photo.

At the end of the day you need to be happy with the helmet. With German steel helmets you'll always find someone who will tell you it is bad. But I think this one is probably a safe bet. If the money is too good to be true that would be a red flag, but it is reasonable then it might be worth it.

thx guys i am really really happy with it. Did you see the merkings on the linerband etc there is even a faint 64 on the back of the inside of the helet and a name that could be Raschler

Back