M16

DPW

I picked up 2 M16's recently, both post-war overpainted. One was done in bright 'Kelly green', the other in white. Why? Who knows. Anyway, I removed the paint and discovered under it numerous black lines with green and brown cammo paint still largely intact! One turned out to be a Quist, and the other had a dome number stamp, both not visible prior to removing the paint.

Er...'Yes'?

I am just pointing out that even what seems to be a completly worthless, ruined helmet may still be worth looking at underneath. These two are very interesting 'battlefield relics' if you like, full of history if not beauty, and I think are worthy of a place among the other remnants of that long past War to End Wars.

D.

Denton

Denton, please don't feel offended or so, I just wanted to get this thread started up a little bit because there were no replys...
So I was just thinking what's the meaning of this because there are no pics... Imo it could be very interesting to show them, I think everybody is waiting for them now...

Adler

PS every helmet is worthy to be amongst the others...

It would be great to learn how you removed the top layer while preserving the original paint! Can you give any hints? Did you use usual paint removing chemicals (thinned, perhaps)?

I used a normal paint remover but just very lightly brushed on and wiped off at once, just on and off, then washed. The helmets wern't in great condition prior to being over-painted, but enough of the cammo remains to show the design and the colours, plus quite a lot of the factory paint is also visible. I must get some photos.

Water based stripper is the best according to Tony (and I have tried it) which really makes sense. Apply and then quickly wash off. Brian

Back