M17 liner repair

orwilliams

I have an M17 which still has the liner. One of the 3 ears is torn down near the base, toward the metal mounting band...where most of them tear. It is about half the length of the "ear". I would like to make this more stable to take the stress off the remaining part of the leather, not to try to make it look like it was never torn, but just to conserve it. I think I read in Pickelhaube Preservation about gluing a thin piece of leather on the back side, just along the tear. Are there any thoughts or suggestions on what to do. What would be the best glue to use. There is not much leather on the band side, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch, but enough to glue some leather to it. I will try to attach a photo, but I am not very good at this. Thanks!

If I was going to glue anything to secure this piece, I think I would use a strip of fine linen over leather. The linen is much more flexible. The glue will also have to be flexible something on the order of contact cement. You may have a problem with the glue holding, as you will have make sure the area is clean enough.
Before under taking this project it may be best to research it more completely. Also think about the effect that the repair may have on the value of the piece.
Good luck.

Yes, I wish there were a non-permanent way to support it. I may just leave it and store it so that it does not dangle. I imagine it would get into the discussion of whether it is better to leave things as they are, or conserve and fix in a manner of doing the least damage. I am checking with our local museum to see what the curator says.

A couple of mine have the same condition, I have taken soft foam (pillow type) and put it inside the helmet to hold the pads up.

Yes, foam or even a pillow of bubble wrap put up inside to keep the weight of the pads and fingers from cracking the liner along the rim of the helmet. Not my idea, but one given to me by T Schnurr, it also applies to tin pickelhauben liners.

Back