M17 steel helmet, named

Adler

Not so long ago, I was very lucky to find this magnifficent M17 steel helmet.
It was produced in 1917 and is marked BF64 (F.C. Bellinger, Fulda, size 64).
The helmet is almost in mint condition and still has about 99,5% of its original paint.
As you can see the painter did a really sloppy paintjob with all the paint runs, maybe it was painted on a monday morning or maybe it just wasn’t that important at that moment (war production)…
The liner is 100% mint and still has the liner cord and the liner pads; the liner pins are as steady as a rock. On the other hand, this helmet came without the chinstrap…
As one might think that this helmet was unissued, well… it was issued because in the neck guard the helmet is named to a leutnant of Feldartillerie-Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches) Nr. 6. To bad I can’t decifer the guy’s name, it looks as the name has been rubbed away a bit.
I sure hope one of you knowledgeable guys can decifer this name and maybe put me on the right track to do a little research on the previous owner of this helmet.
Thank you in advance for helping me out in that case!

Adler

It's very nice although I prefer you 2-tone camo helmet which also has a pristine liner...
I was trying to figure out the guy's name... Need better closeups.

Just a helmet that has it all...... less the chinstrap. I esp like the original tie string a hard to find item on these helmets.
:bravo:
Jerry

Thank you very much gentlemen!
Meanwhile someone suggested the name could be Ltn. Gamer or Ltn. Cramer... But it seems they are not in the list of regular officers...

Adler

Then it would be Ltn. Vamer... That would be a possibiliy to...
I sure hope someone find it in some sort of rangliste or so (I didn't...)?

Adler

Congratulations with yet another fine helmet! Although I agree that better close ups of the name are more than welcome, it seems quite likely to me that Cramer was the chaps name.

Thanks for sharing and best regards,

Edwin

Don t misunderstand,
we (I) also like those brave successors of the Pickelhauben, they managed to become iconic as well :thumb up:

Nice! The name means "He who doesn't mind paint drips".... :???: Maybe the 15 year old who was painting these got mobilized and his twelve year old brother just didn't have the skills yet.

:D Ron

Just had a look in the Rangliste 1914-1918 and only found one Leutnant Cramer who served in an artillery unit, in the Garde-Fußartillerie-Regiment (Spandau). All the other Ltn Cramer´s were in other kind of units (Infanterie, Kavallerie and so on...).
Further, there are no officers listed with the name "Gamer" or "Gramer". :(
Philippe

Back