M18 camo, named and with something special

Adler

Here's a special camo M17 W66.
The helmet was produced in 1917 by Hermann Weissenberger & Co., Stuttgart-Cannstatt in size 66 (they produced only size 66)and it was named to Müller M.
This helmet has a few interesting features, nothing really special, but nevertheless it's a little different. First of all, one of the vent holes is still stuffed with mud. Another thing that was rather uncommon is that the chinstrap lugs were hammered a little bit, so they got wider to prevent that the chinstrap came of the lugs... This also left some damage on the paint...
Imo this helmet was cammoed twice. This can be seen by the colour difference of the light brown and the sloppy black lines that were touched up... As a "bonus" there's something written in this second layer of paint. I don't know what it means, maybe the soldiers nickname or a slogan, I really don't know... Anyway, it gives the helmet something special...

Adler 1

Karel,

Great find !

"Druff" is German dialect for "Drauf". "Drauf/Druff gehen". "To go for it". A battle cry.

I'm sure our German members will give more e correct imput on this.

Rgds,
Francis

Great helmet! Bravo!!
I think (but I´m not sure) this is not a "M" behind the name "Müller", but a roman "III". "Müller" was and still is a very common german name. It was not rare that there were 2 or more "Müller´s" in one Kompanie or Bataillon. The owner of your helmet could have been the third "Müller" in his unit.
Philippe

Back