M18 Stalhelm

Hey Hans,
Great stuff, we do not often get a chance to see a square dip helmet, now the next question, do you have a full visor too? Welcome to the forum.
Gus

Thanks guys. I've never seen a full visor helmet for sale, and would jump at the chance if one ever came up. I've always wondered if they were exclusively made by Thale, just like the other experimental helmets contracted out to them like the prototype and the M18 ear cut-out. I'm looking forward to finding an M18 ear cut-out complete with liner and chinstrap some day. Complete M18s of both types with their original WW1 parts are hard to find.

I will post a new thread some day on this square dip when I have taken better pictures of the helmet. There are features on this helmet, especially the liner, that I haven't even touched on yet that are very unique and merit further discussion. Hopefully I'll have some new pix ready soon.

Hans

no worries on the thread, I am learning a ton! Keep on sharing.

Here is a link to the thread on my cover that was discussed before you came on board!

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884

Thanks

Very impressive collection James. The cover looks beautiful to me. I would be proud to have it my collection. Along with pretty much everything else you have for that matter.
I have a field grey one with hooks, although I'm very suspicious that it might not be good. I've never had the opportunity to examine an authentic one. The main types mentioned in Baer's books (not including the field made hessian cloth ones) are the winter white camo versions which are well documented as being made in large quantities, and were fitted to the helmet with hooks, and field grey (or just grey) ones, which were not approved by the high command.
Because helmet glare and comouflage was such a big concern for frontline troops, I think many units, especially assault troops, were either issued with covers or had them made up. I've noticed that many wartime pictures show units collectively wearing covers, usually tan like yours, which suggests they were made in large quantities. The same is true with painted camo helmets later in the war in terms of uniformity. Some pictures even show the same pattern of camo on all of the helmets worn in a particular unit.

Here's a picture I own showing covers being worn. These don't have the leather reinforcements, and look like they may not even have holes for the lugs.
Stosstrupphelmetcover.jpg

The close-up shows that the covers are fastened with drawstrings.
Stosstrupphelmetcoverdetail.jpg
[/img]

Detail of Pioniere from the 2nd Company M.W. Zug of Sturmbataillon 16. Most are wearing camo helmets identical in pattern, with only the colour panels switched.
Sturmbataillon16MW.Zugdetainl.jpg

Since this thread started out with M18s as the topic, and not square dips and camo covers (sorry about that), I thought I'd share another M18 helmet. This one is painted in 3 shades of brown, with what looks like very fine sand mixed into the paint. Its complete with liner and chinstrap, although the chinstrap is broken and in storage somewhere. Although the helmet is a Thale helmet (E.T.), the angle of the visor-neckguard transition is at a much different angle than usually seen in earlier Thale helmets. I've seen this later model feature on an M17 E.T. helmet with 1918 dated liner pads.

Hans,

We have been chasing this abbreviation on pickelhaubes.
bdiii.jpg

I don't think it is a steel mill code --do you have any idea what might be?

Thats a good question. Because the B.D. has a III behind it like the Bekleidungsamt markings found in caps, tunics, etc. do (i.e. B.A. III), maybe the roman numeral is a similar regional Korps designation for the purposes of distribution? I've never looked into Pickelhaube markings.
I doubt the initials B.D. have anything to do with those found on Stahlhelme, and think that they must stand for something else. With steel helmets, the steel mill/smelting number stamping is well documented.

I know Mark from the Etobicoke show. I've had a table there now for over 3 years. He's one of the few people there I can discuss Imperial items with. He put me wise to this forum.

Excellent posts Hans. I have learned a great deal. I hope to see you at the Etobicoke show. Brian

Maybe MArk and Hans should get themselves to SOS since I am not allowed in Canada after the incident with the handgrenade at the boarder.
Gsu

I'd love to go to the SOS some day. I've never been to a show in the U.S., but have seen pictures of the tables at the SOS. Hope to meet you there some day Gustav.

You brought a grenade to the border? Sounds like a good story.

Stahlhelm said:
I'd love to go to the SOS some day. I've never been to a show in the U.S., but have seen pictures of the tables at the SOS. Hope to meet you there some day Gustav.

You brought a grenade to the border? Sounds like a good story.

Hey Hans, You, MArk, Cliff, Brian and Margo should hire a bus and all come down together. SOS is really big with just about everything you can imagine (maybe I just have a small imagination) but even after you get past the junk, there is still more stuff than anyone can see in the short time the show is open, and then the National Gun Day show opens next door. Last year, both shows had over 1,600 tables, I was so tired that I only made it through about 1/2 of the gun show (of course, I was out of money by then, and Maggie could not carry much more anyway).

I think most every one here has heard the grenade story, I will have to tell you some time, I lost the grenade, but I have a cool receipt from Canadian customs for it.
Best wishes
Gus

I presume by now you have the BDIII info all sorted out in the past ten years but I will comment for anyone else reading old posts. Bekleidungsdepot III specific to the Bavarian III Armee Korps.

I was searching old posts to see if any with varied Hersteller codes were posted. We tend to see the same number(s) in the box to the left among headgear, the same number among any Brotbeutel I have found, select items of clothing, etc.

joerookery said:
Hans,

We have been chasing this abbreviation on pickelhaubes.
bdiii.jpg

I don't think it is a steel mill code --do you have any idea what might be?

Since this post deals with M18's and stamped markings, guess I can ask this here. A friend and fellow collector came up with a M18 reissued during the TR. It has the new pattern liner and is double decals (Heer). Under the front visor it is regimentally marked, stamped into the steel. The pattern of the marks is the same as would be in Pickelhaubes (ex: JR153 III [no sure if I have the actual regimental number correct, but was something like that, 3 digits]). I've never seen this on any other steel helmet. Now for the questions; Has anyone else seen this type of marking on a steel helmet? Was this a war time (WWI) or post war thing?

Back