M1842 helmet eagle with attached fatherland bandeau from 1860

Sandmann

Dear fellow forum members,
I'm pleased to show you my latest acquisition for my collection, a helmet eagle M1842 with attached fatherland bandeau from 1860.
Special about it is the attachment of the banner. Instead of soldering it to the eagle, split pins were soldered to the back of the banner itself, which then clamped it to the eagle. In addition, the threaded pins for attaching the eagle to the helmet were also soldered to the back of the banner and then inserted through 2 holes in the eagle. Here, in contrast to the split pins, they were soldered to the eagle a second time.
I have never seen this type of attachment before. I hope you like it as much as I do 🤩
1046A81F-8AA8-429E-B211-4B77D7B4ECA6.jpeg843B44E2-517F-4E0E-A537-FD2A9D294841.jpeg018CD02A-B79D-42FE-9C2C-981ACCAA071C.jpegC80B5C48-0B58-4931-B647-FA6D0E0E2B67.jpegD69C00BE-A75A-4118-B1D7-091C21803F13.jpeg

Thank you very much Lady and Gentlemen, I appreciate your comments and I‘m glad that you like it :)

Hello Sandy,
Another excellent find on the subject of "material science". It never ceases to amaze me how the Prussian army, but also the armies of the smaller German states, implemented aptations!
Best regards
Frank

Hello Sandy,
Another excellent find on the subject of "material science". It never ceases to amaze me how the Prussian army, but also the armies of the smaller German states, implemented aptations!
Best regards
Frank
I completely agree with you, Frank. It's really interesting how everything was implemented and also how many deviations there were.
However, as a good Prussian, I was somewhat disappointed to see so many deviations being tolerated at the time, even though they were prescribed in such detail. If it didn't matter anyway, many precise specifications, such as the helmet height of 21.3 mm or a cockade diameter of 4,8mm, could have been avoided. On the other hand, you don't know how far the deviations would have been pushed if the specifications hadn't existed.
Of course, it's also possible that I'm a bit too pedantic when it comes to compliance with regulations due to my years of work as a design engineer in the aviation industry 😂

Back