M1848 Infanteri Schleswig-Holstein, New find, your thoughts?

Kaikun2001

Hi I just won this pickelhaube at the local Auction, and would like your opinion on it, does it look right(original?) and was it a good piece to get?

many thanks
Patrik

Attachments

• item_2153794_63985a1fbf.jpg
    item_2153794_63985a1fbf.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • item_2153794_f8ff49201e.jpg
    item_2153794_f8ff49201e.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 55
  • item_2153794_db62b81d93.jpg
    item_2153794_db62b81d93.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 49
  • item_2153794_7bd3118fdc.jpg
    item_2153794_7bd3118fdc.jpg
    899 KB · Views: 52
  • item_2153794_cc20153944.jpg
    item_2153794_cc20153944.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
Nice helmet. It needs kokarden in Schleswig Holstein colors for red-white-medium blue for the right hand side and black red and gold for the left hand side. There are several of these helmets on the Weitze web-site to compare for kokarde style. I find this war absolutely fascinating and the only real campaign in which these German armies actually fought in these helmets.

Thank you for the great explanation, I would imagine finding the exact correct kokarde would be quite a challenge. Also which exact conflict would this helmet have been used in?

all the best Patrik

The kokarden are painted leather. I have never seen any original kokardes for sale. There are variants. They sported Prussian style pressed felt or leather kokardes as well. You could produce two standard leather kokardes to replace and "age" them artistically to match the helmet. Your roundels are replacements. You can get the correct original and reproduction roundels and screws on German Ebay.

Here is an equivalent to your helmet on Weitze's web-site

The first Schleswig Holstein war was fought between 1848-1851 when the two polities together sought to separate from Denmark and join the new German federation (ie. the black red and gold which is what united Germany today claims as their political heritage versus the Reich). The Danish palace guard - bearskin grenadiers and hussars - still wear the uniforms of the first Schleswig Holstein war as a tribute to their victory over the German federation. The federation included Mecklenburg so your dragoon helmet was also in this war. These helmets have been highly collectible in the past and interest in them will return making values go up. So this is a good time to research and invest in this period. I collect because I am fascinated by the independent German states but I also think the 1842 model helmets are totally cool in their Gothic-Medieval inspired appearance. Chris Dale has researched and photographed a number of helmets from this period for his new book and has posted many photos elsewhere on this web-site

Many helmets were stored in Idstedt in 1851 with the dissolution of the S-H army but they were looted during the WWII allied occupation. The ones we collect may very well have been part of this collection.

Attachments

• Idstedt Museum 1848.jpg
    Idstedt Museum 1848.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 33
Patrick,
Welcome aboard. Thank you for posting this seldom seen pickelhaube.Nacuaa, thank you for the historical background of this helmet and the war it was worn.
Best regards
John

Hi Nacuaa Thank you for the in depth explanation, I find it very facinating that both of my helmets happen to be in the same war. While I was bidding I had No prior knowledge of the first schleswig war, I have However heard of the 2nd schleswig war. These helmets will be my first entry in to the pre 1895 pickelhaube world.​

I will try to provide better images when I get both of the pieces inhand.

Regards Patrik

Patrick,
Welcome aboard. Thank you for posting this seldom seen pickelhaube.Nacuaa, thank you for the historical background of this helmet and the war it was worn.
Best regards
John
My pleasure John😊, I hope to learn more about them, once I get them next week.

Back