M1860/67 Dragoner Pickelhaube Regt 4,5,6,10,12 or 15

flasheart

Gents,
This was a recent acquisition - a Model 1860 Dragoner with German silver fittings The dragoner wappen with silver fittings was used by Regts 4,5,6,10,12 and 15). All original components but the helmet had been neglected over the years and when I received it was in a sorry state with both visors separated, rear visor cracked along the stitch line and split in two parts, the visors wired back on through holes punched in the leather, the spike and cruciform bent, and all of the silver fittings covered in a yellow residue (150 years of tobacco smoke?) making it appear brass rather than silver. Fortunately, in spite of the bad photos on the listing I could see what it was and took on the repair job. So, holes plugged with old leather, visors re-stitched, stitch-line restored, spike re-aligned, and yellow residue removed (I personally never clean the fittings on helmets but in this case it needed one cleaning to remove the potentially damaging residue and bring out the silver finish. I will now let it tarnish naturally). A rare and highly desirable helmet now in good shape for its next 150 years.

I am still missing the two silver domed pins for the visor and one of the oval shaped domed bolts for the rear visor. If anyone can help out of their spare parts box, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike

P8313962.jpg

P8313963.jpg

P8313964.jpg

P8313966.jpg

P8313970.jpg

P8313971.jpg

P8313973.jpg

The sorry before shots:

7f8c_1.jpg

bd3a_1.jpg

c0e9_1.jpg

WOW, Excellent restore job on the pickelhaube.

Thanks for sharing. And a very nice pickelhaube as well to have.

Thanks Joe Semen

Well. It looks MUCH better than the first time I saw it. Looks superb now. Been after an 1860 Dragoner myself forever.

Did you receive an envelope from Canada Mike?

Back