M1886/1914 Bayern Schwere Reiter

Adler

Well, Santa was a few days late to have this one under the tree... But I can live with that... :D
Here's a private purchase M1886/1914 helmet for Bayer. Schwere Reiter Regt. Nr. 1 or also possible for Chevauleger Regt. Nr. 2 - 4 - 6 - 8...
It's made of vulcanfiber, has silver fittings, leather sweatband with silk liner, M91 posts for the chinstrap and Cokarden for Unteroffizier mit Portepee...

Adler

It has been 40 years since I got a spike for Christmas, but I did get a Colt 1911 this year:)
Gus

Adler, once again I can't think of adequate words. Beautiful, stunning, breathtaking just aren't enough. A wonderful, wonderful helmet!

Sweet! Santa didn't bring me anything like that.

I was looking at cavalry helmet covers last night. I guess there is really no way to tell the difference between which regiment unless you have a helmet cover. Lots and lots of these had numbers.

Thank you for your comments gentlemen!

Adler

PS Joe, I wish the cover was together with the helmet, but it isn't... :(

Absolutely astonishing! It looks like the maker mark depicts the famous Depaheg Patent known for their fibre helmets, but this is difficult to make out at the angle.

One general remark.. it makes a lot of sense that the main benefit (or at least a convenient side effect) of private purchase helmets with gilt fittings is that you don't need to clean them from oxidation. On the other hand, it seems that the silvering of fittings on high quality helmets would be just the opposite and quite a disadvantage in comparison to the normal nickel silver. The wearer would need to clean the tarnished silver on his helmet all the time, particularly in field use. Or did the users of such helmets simply have staff that did the cleaning for them?

Back