M1895 PRUSSIAN GARDE SILVER FITTING ENLISTED MAN PICKELHAUBE

Amybellars

Selling some of my pickelhaubes to make space for new purchases. I sell my collection with pride and confident. If you receive the item and you aren't happy with it, you can return it to me within 7 days in the same condition. The only thing is that you will have to bear the shipping charges for both ways.

This example is a Model 1895 Prussian Garde Pioneer Infantry troop pickelhaube. Pioneer helmets are distinctive in that the fittings are Neusilber (nickel-silver). Like brass, Neusilber (actually a high nickel content alloy) is not magnetic.

Silver fittings include removable spike, studs, front visor trim, rear spine, side posts and Garde wappen. Garde wappen is secured to helmet body via leather wedges. There are extra holes behind the wappen where previous owner has cut two horizontal lines to accommodate a Prussian Heraldic Eagle. Exterior body has minor crazing. Stitching to both visors is tight. On the rear visor, there are markings which are difficult to decipher. It seems to suggest KBAG with the year in a rectangular box.

The liner is of that black leather with rounded "tongues" perforated at the ends for a leather string to adjust the fit. Leather liner is in good condition with supple leather. No cockades.

Price is US$795 or "best offers".

Please ask questions if you have any.

International shipping from Singapore is a flat US$60

Paypal Friends and Family or add 4% to cover fees.

PM me or email at [email protected]

Thanks
AB4620231226_214513_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214518_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214522_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214528_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214536_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214540_resized_1.jpgAB4620231226_214553_resized.jpg

Sorry, the description should read as non-removable spike. Rest of description remains the same. Thank you

Hello Amy,
I have the impression that the rear spine is nickel-plated brass and not nickel silver. Could you please confirm.
The fixed tip is now possible on mobilization helmets and afterwards on Feld-garnitur for Feldbrauchbar helmets. Wearing the Haarbusch was no longer necessary, either in the field or at the front, and the fixed tip was simpler, cheaper and quicker to produce.

Hi Clovis
The rear spine is silver with some old dirt on it that makes it look like brass but it's silver. Good sight to spot it.

In the absence of precise markings, there are several possible scenarios:
---GRzuF 1 (II & IIIB)
---GRzuF 5
---GRP (Pionier)
---GFR (rifleman)
---ER 1, 2, or 3 (Eisenbahn)
(for the enlisted, only the Garde-Regiment zu Fuß 1 had nickel silver chinstrap trimmings or scales, the others Garde-Regiment had brass).

Last edited:
Back