M1915 Baden infantry

Carlson

This is one of those not-a-stunner-but-one-I-really-like kind of helmet. Some of you probably saw it on ebay. Neat story behind it: the seller lives only 20 minutes from me, so I went and picked it up from him. Turns out he's a retired physician who happens to know my father (also a physician). He got the helmet, and several others, from a former patient of his: Col. Robert Rankin who wrote HELMETS AND HEADDRESS OF THE IMPERIAL GERMAN ARMY 1870-1918. He showed me a picture of Rankin in his living room with this and other helmets. The physician is not a collector himself, so he sold this one and a Prussian M15. He's keeping a couple of very nice ones, including a tin ersatz Wuerttemberg and an unbelievable British lancer helmet from the 1880s, I believe.

Anyway, this helmet is very well preserved, stitching very tight, and stamped to IR 170. Chinstrap is broken and repaired, and a couple of liner tongues have ripped through, but overall, I'm very pleased.

David

dsc00029dh.jpg

dsc00049lg.jpg

dsc00054ik.jpg

dsc00060vo.jpg

Yup, I saw this and was pondering on it too. I think I missed out. Beautifully shaped spike, good detail on the Wappen, what look's like an original cockade, and nice form to the skull. To me that's almost a Stunner! Good liner too. And marked well. What more could you want?

How much did she go for after all? And is that spike just a teensy-weensy bit taller than usual?

Well done!

An excellent piece Dave. very nice to have a helmet from Rankins' collection. I think that most of us started off with a copy of his book. Brian

Back