M1915 Bavarian

If anyone has information on the markings or related items please advise

Attachments

• 26F90949-AA56-4499-8EF5-B03C991FB1E4.jpeg
    26F90949-AA56-4499-8EF5-B03C991FB1E4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3,513
Nice Helmet, congratulations :bravo:
I have some ideas for your stamps, may be it‘s usefull for you:
B.D.III = Bekleidungs-Depot III - Below of this marking seems to be the year 1915. Concerning the Number 147 I have read that it is a code for the type of unit which is marked, in this case a Pickelhaube.
6.I.R.= 6. königlich Bayerisches Infanterie-Regiment
I’m pretty sure that the first Name is Max (in old german handwriting). But I can‘t identify the last Name, sorry. Hope anybody else can read it and you are able to find informations about the owner in the bavarian archives

Sandy, I always believed, from diverse other sources, that on these markings particular to bavarian gear, BD stands for "Bayerische Division", and not Bekleidungs Depot... Was I wrong?

911car said:
Sandy, I always believed, from diverse other sources, that on these markings particular to bavarian gear, BD stands for "Bayerische Division", and not Bekleidungs Depot... Was I wrong?

I think „Bekleidungs-Depot“ is correct. It‘s an equipment marking and in Bavaria the name „Bekleidungsdepot“ was officially used.
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/item/SUCMORX55QWZY2ZHMAYLXD5YUJYAU4CL
Unfortunately I‘ve no access to this document in the bavarian archive, but I’ve read about this marking in a german Forum. The discussion was really interesting, especially the coding for the type of equipment convinced me.
https://www.feldgrau-forum.com/threads/kammerstempel.26150/page-2

Sandmann said:
I think „Bekleidungs-Depot“ is correct.

So do I. And so many other collectors on french forums (Bekleidungs Depot III AK). The KBJR6 was in the III AK ( Amberg).

The name is Max SENFT. I searched this guy in the bavarian archives (Kriegsstammrollen) and found him. (I do not know if I am allowed to post some scans, because one must pay for this site).He was mobilized at the II Ersatz Bataillon of the KBJR6 (4. Kompanie) on the 3.6.1916. This guy was born in Völling / Roding on the 28.12.1897. He later moved (14.11.16) to the 3/ KBJR14. He was lightly wounded at the abdomen on the 12.12.17 through shrapnell.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7552391

He was 1,69m tall and had blond hairs. He survived the war.

We will never know if he took his helmet to the KBJR14...I think the helmet remained at the Kammer and garrison of the KBJR6 and never saw the frontline because of the introduction of the M16, November 1916 as SENFT moved to the front to the KBJR14. This would explain the great state of conservation of this helmet!

Philippe
:wink:

Awesome Phiippe. I was hoping that you will be able to find him :bravo:
Was it usual that the first name has been written in German-Letters and the last Name in Latin-Letters?
It‘s always a little bit irritating for me that 2 different Alphabets have been used. Did they follow a rule for writing the Names?

Thank you Philippe, that is fantastic information. I never imagined I would get such detail.

Sandmann said:
Was it usual that the first name has been written in German-Letters and the last Name in Latin-Letters?

Sandy,
There are no rules for that, unfortunately....I already saw so much different writings, even in the same name...It seems that the old german writing has been very slowly replaced in the schools by the modern writing between 1900-1920. One must also think that most of common soldiers did not have a good and long schooltime as they had to work early in the fields or in the industry. This could explain this "ruleless" writing.

My observation: a perfect old german writing (Sütterlin) is mostly seen in Landwehr or reserve helmets (wearers were even older).

Philippe
:wink:

So true...I was educated in Imperial measurement...Feet, inches, fahrenheit but my country Canada, switched to metric probably 20 years ago. Despite this, I still think in the old system, when I am in the US, I totally identify with their use of the old cumbersome measurement of length and temperature. My son thinks always in metric terms, even Tony S. can't understand me when I tell him I am in Florida and it is 68F outside. :) Things change slowly with humanity! I had trouble with fractions as a child, that's why I ended up a History teacher :-? there is no doubt that metric is a far easier system.

Metric is a better system, but Centigrade is not really a very good measurement of temperature. It is based on water's state while Fahrenheit is based on the human condition.

I‘m glad that I‘m not the only one with a kind of problem like that :D
I never used Fahrenheit but I agree that Metric is the easier System. In Germany we still use Inches for Tube-diameters or thread-diameter for some bolts. The good thing is that you will keep in training of fractional arithmetic :bravo:

Back